Notices

D2 Racing Coilovers-Opinions

Old 01-13-2006, 09:23 AM
KaBlookie
4-doors ROCK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay, back on topic...From what I've heard, the very early-run D2 Coilovers had a few quality control issues -- apparently the company that was assembling the shocks was putting the wrong fluid in them -- among other things, but those problems did not last long at all, and nowadays they do not seem to be having any real major problems at all.

They are very similar (although not identical) in design and function to the KSport coilovers (which I just installed on my car and can't stop being amazed by them) in that their features are basically the same: 36-way adjustable shocks, independant ride height/spring preload settings, custom spring rates available.

In terms of longevity, if they're anything like the KSports (and I'm sure they would be very similar...as the D2s, KSports, some JICs, and a couple of other brands are all made in the same factories, so I've heard), then it seems as though they'll last you a good while. My brother has had KSports on his '95 Maxima for about 8 months now (8 months of very hard driving, mind you...he does not drive his car lightly) and he hasn't seen any problems with them so far.

The D2s, for Integras, come with 15 kg/mm (838 lbs/in) front springs and 9 kg/mm (502 lbs/in) rear springs, which is just under 4x stiffer than stock in the front, and just over 4x stiffer in the rear which, if you ask me, would be very uncomfortable during everyday driving, despite how much you can adjust the shocks. The KSports come with 11 kg/mm (615 lbs/in) front springs and 6 kg/mm (335 lbs/in) rear springs. With either coilover set, you can get custom spring rates for the front and rear (3.5,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,13,15,17,19, and 21 kg/mm).

Speaking of adjusting the shocks...it really is amazing how much of a difference it can make. The KSports' shock adjustments can be turned just over 3.5 turns, and turning the adjustment just 1/4 of a turn makes a very noticeable difference in the ride quality of the suspension. The way I adjusted my shocks was I started off at full soft and drove on some not-so-smooth roads, and just adjusted from there. Although with neither the D2s nor the KSports can you adjust the compression and rebound dampening separately (turning the adjustment changes compression and rebound dampening together), it isn't too hard to find a happy medium between being soft enough that bumps aren't very jarring but stiff enough that the car doesn't bounce after hitting a given bump.

Overall, if you're looking for a fully adjustable coilover setup but don't want to pay $1500 for it, then the D2s and KSports are good alternatives. I've seen D2s for around $760 (www.evasivemotorsports.com) and I got my KSports from a buddy for $850, but that price also included lightweight rear LCAs and shipping. The cheapest Tein setup that is as adjustable would run you well over $1000. Sure D2 and KSport haven't been distributing their products in the US as long as, say, Tein or JIC or Omni, but Tein and JIC carry a bigger name brand and are more expensive because of it, and Omni has had quality issues for a while now, as was mentioned earlier.

Everything mentioned here is my opinion and/or facts I have picked up from D2's and KSport's respective websites or from reading around on other forums. Say what you wish, but this is what I know and what I think.

Hope this helps man.

Last edited by KaBlookie; 01-13-2006 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:55 AM
ACT I

So is the Ground Control and koni yellows good r not lil confused long ass thread lol but i the ground controls were only like 350 all the way around i think koni's were like a buc a piece
Old 01-16-2006, 06:28 AM
KaBlookie
4-doors ROCK

Ground Controls with Koni Yellows, so I've heard, are a good combo, but they end up costing around $750, then you have to either rent a spring compressor (okay, not that expensive at all) or have someone put the springs on the shocks...for that same money you can get the D2s or KSports (PM me if you're thinking KSports...I can give you more info), which have more adjustability, but are at the same time made by less well known brands (because D2 and KSport only started selling their stuff in the US/North America within the past year or two)

One more thing...Whenever you're getting a spring/shock combo (like GCs and Konis), you are guaranteed to be making a sacrifice (whether it's big or small) because those shocks are made to be used with springs ranging in stiffness between stock and really stiff, meaning they're not gonna be well matched with whichever springs you get, whereas shocks on any full coilovers are designed and valved to work best with a specific, much smaller range of springs...they're matched with each other, giving you more balanced performance from the combination as a whole.

Last edited by KaBlookie; 01-16-2006 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:18 PM
sirg-vtec
I just wanted to fit in.

BTW, do you even know how stiff 15kg front and 8kg rear are? I suggest you take a ride with someone with suspension that stiff and see if it is for you. I am on 440 front and 350 back and I think that it is too stiff for me. Oh btw, I planned to switch the 350 rears to the front and buy another pair of 250 to put in the rear. That should ease things up a little.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:14 PM
Solracer
NASA-VA Hyper-Announcer

Originally Posted by KaBlookie
One more thing...Whenever you're getting a spring/shock combo (like GCs and Konis), you are guaranteed to be making a sacrifice (whether it's big or small) because those shocks are made to be used with springs ranging in stiffness between stock and really stiff, meaning they're not gonna be well matched with whichever springs you get, whereas shocks on any full coilovers are designed and valved to work best with a specific, much smaller range of springs...they're matched with each other, giving you more balanced performance from the combination as a whole.
That is not really a true or fair statement, All shocks have a range of springs that they will work well with, and if you exceed that range the shocks will not perform well. D2, Omni, Ksport, pretty much make one shock that works on all cars, they change the upper and lower mounts for different applications, and use a range of springs, but the shock never changes, this is one of the ways to keep cost down The Matching the spring to the shock is a marketing thing, I would rather match the spring and shock to how I want my car to perform not to the shock. The Koni Shock outperforms D2, Omni and Ksports in every aspect, Better range of adjustably, better valving, and better warranty. With ground control's you can choose the rate you want and you get Eibach springs, which also have a lifetime warranty, to me the choice is obvious.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:15 PM
Solracer
NASA-VA Hyper-Announcer

Originally Posted by sirg-vtec
BTW, do you even know how stiff 15kg front and 8kg rear are? I suggest you take a ride with someone with suspension that stiff and see if it is for you. I am on 440 front and 350 back and I think that it is too stiff for me. Oh btw, I planned to switch the 350 rears to the front and buy another pair of 250 to put in the rear. That should ease things up a little.
I ran with 350/250 setup and it road fine on the street, that is not too much stiffer that stock, and is a pretty common rate for a street setup.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
KaBlookie
4-doors ROCK

Originally Posted by sirg-vtec
BTW, do you even know how stiff 15kg front and 8kg rear are? I suggest you take a ride with someone with suspension that stiff and see if it is for you. I am on 440 front and 350 back and I think that it is too stiff for me.
I have not ridden in a car with springs that stiff, but I never was singing their praises, and did warn of how stiff they would be.

Originally Posted by Solracer
That is not really a true or fair statement, All shocks have a range of springs that they will work well with, and if you exceed that range the shocks will not perform well. D2, Omni, Ksport, pretty much make one shock that works on all cars, they change the upper and lower mounts for different applications, and use a range of springs, but the shock never changes, this is one of the ways to keep cost down The Matching the spring to the shock is a marketing thing, I would rather match the spring and shock to how I want my car to perform not to the shock. The Koni Shock outperforms D2, Omni and Ksports in every aspect, Better range of adjustably, better valving, and better warranty. With ground control's you can choose the rate you want and you get Eibach springs, which also have a lifetime warranty, to me the choice is obvious.
Fair enough, but just for the record, do you have links (or pics) to comparisons or individual tests of the different shocks to show that the Konis do in fact outperform the D2, Omni, and KSport shocks? Also, do you have links to sites showing that the valving in Koni shocks is better and that they're more adjustable? From what I've seen they're not 36-way adjustable, like the D2s and KSports. I'd like to take a look at some of that stuff...

It's not that I don't trust what you're saying, Solracer, as I've seen your other posts around here and you seem like a knowledgeable person, I'm just looking for some evidence to back up this information.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:21 PM
Brar
|:]

from wat i have learned after being flammed here, save ur money and buy the good stuff. dont cheap out on ur suspension.

i would recommend the TEIN SUPER STREET Damper without Pillowball Upper Mounts for $1000

im not sure wat the pillowball mounts do but u cant get them for the 3rd gen teg. good quality stuff, adjustable, well worth the money.
(read around a little and i think the pillowball mounts are just for EDFC)

Last edited by Brar; 01-16-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:25 PM
KaBlookie
4-doors ROCK

to my knowledge, the EDFC will fit any Tein coilovers that have adjustable shocks, and the SS (Super Street) have em, so if you have the extra $300+ and want to be able to remotely control the shock stiffnesses of the front and rear shocks independantly from inside the cabin, then by all means go for it. I played with an EDFC at a shop around here and it's probably one of the coolest little gadgets out there...I'd highly recommend it if you have the money.

Also, you can find Tein SSs for under a grand...they're $900 at www.evasivemotorsports.com
Old 01-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Brar
|:]

^well for the G2 pics and such, they say the SS with pillowball mounts have EDFC compatibility and no pillowball mounts dont say EDFC compatibility... :dunno:

for the G3 they dont even have pillowball mounts available...