Notices

power steering pump woes.....

Old 11-27-2005, 09:52 PM
slater442w30
Honda newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering pump woes.....

So I put together the wifes new car, 91 integra ls, drive it home after an engine and tranny swap, and there is no power steering, the pump is turning, and fluid is pouring out the top of the resovoir. I tried the lock to lock while on a jack bleeding method and no dice. Pump later took a dump tonight, belt burned right off when pump siezed, never made any weird noise, growling, nothing, no warning. The pump was never removed from the old engine, I took the engine/tranny out as a combo unit from my parts car and transplanted everything into the new car. The parts car still ran and drove just fine. Is this because It wasnt bled right? Maybe a plugged hose? Keep in mind I never drove the new car till the new engine was in, it had a severely blown headgasket that caused the pistons to hydrolock causing them to come out the side of the block . Any clue what caused the pump to lock up? The resovoir is still half full. I still have the pump off this car on the old engine, hope that fixes it. Please, my honda brothers and sisters help me to not fry another ps pump.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:38 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Maybe it was just a bad pump and its time was up. As long as you can see that fluid is circulating correctly and the belt is tightened to spec, it shouldn't crap out on you like that.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:04 AM
slater442w30
Honda newbie

Well, I tore the pump all apart and the main input shaft is siezed tight, no matter how big of hammer I tried it didnt budge even a little. And when the car is running I should be able to open the power steering resevoir cap and see the fluid moving through there right? The pump never even dried out, I plugged the ports off with capplugs and it still had fluid in it when I took them off, damn it. Oh well, its still going better than my 92 so I can complain too much