Notices

• Integra Tech: [Read and post your basic questions here.]

Old 09-12-2006, 06:22 AM
PMI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt - Again

Can something be gained by inspecting the timing belt as described in the '90-93 shop manual, given the car has less than 70K at over 15 years, and parked most of that time?

Background, for anyone interested:

1990 Integra with under 70K miles, normal maintenance for the first 6 years, then used as second car for 3-4. After that, engine run only every few weeks. Parked for the last two years.

Needs a thorough going over and a few simple things (3/4 exhaust, rusted out hard line in the p/s system, stiff shift linkage, fluids, filters, plugs etc.) Already have $300-400 in parts on order. Ideally I would like to drive the car and find out if it is worth more effort, either as a second car or a toy.

Belt, tensioner, and pump would be another $300, I believe. With more obvious repairs, I am not anxious to pay that or start replacing parts on an engine which seems to be running well, but - the car is over 15 years old, and any other car I was familiar w. reached the recommended replacement mileage for a new belt well b/f 6-8 years...

a) run not walk to the dealer for a new belt, tensioner and waterpump?

or,

b) drive it for a few weeks to see what else may fall off?

Comments, suggestions and snide remarks welcome...
Old 09-12-2006, 09:46 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

The recommended replacement timetable for the timing belt is 95K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first.

But the fact of the matter is, there aren't that many truly predictable warning signs for timing belt failure.

You can remove the timing belt cover and look for the fiberglass reinforcing bands and check the condition of the belt teeth, but at this point, the belt is overdue on all counts.

All of the B-series motors are interference design, meaning that pistons and valves share the same space at different times during the 4-stroke cycle.

So when the belt fails, it is highly likely that pistons will hit (and bend) valves, requiring a far more expensive repair effort. Worse case scenario, you could be looking at replacing the motor altogether. :noes:

Even if you decide to sell the car in a year, I would go ahead and replace the timing belt. Since the car has been sitting for 2 years and it is long overdue for replacement anyway, I would consider the $300 spent as an investment in the health of the motor.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 09-12-2006, 11:43 AM
PMI

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave™
Even if you decide to sell the car in a year, I would go ahead and replace the timing belt. Since the car has been sitting for 2 years and it is long overdue for replacement anyway, I would consider the $300 spent as an investment in the health of the motor.
Thanks. I do understand what happens when the pistons kiss the valves <chuckle>. I actually came across the section on inspecting the belt while looking into the replacement procedure, and I was wondering if anyone actually does that on this car, or what to look for. The manual only mentions oil soaking (which I have personally never seen) and inspecting the teeth which AFAIK will only tell you if the belt is likely to slip, and not if it is about to break...

So be it. Any experience with the SKF kit for the Integra, Beck Arnley, or other aftermarket timing belts and waterpumps?

TIA
Old 09-12-2006, 02:59 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by PMI
Thanks. I do understand what happens when the pistons kiss the valves <chuckle>. I actually came across the section on inspecting the belt while looking into the replacement procedure, and I was wondering if anyone actually does that on this car...

So be it. Any experience with the SKF kit for the Integra, Beck Arnley, or other aftermarket timing belts and waterpumps?

TIA
When it came time to replace the belt on my 97 LS, I didn't bother with inspecting the belt before hand. I bought the car with 92K miles in 2001; I knew it was going to be an necessary expense.
In fact, I used the cost of the service to bargain the sale price down by about 10%.

Also, I went with OEM Honda parts, partly out of convenience and also a healthy amount of skepticism for the competition. h: Since it's a mission-critical set of parts and they are rated for a very long duty cycle, IMHO it's not a place to cut costs.

:shrug:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 09-12-2006, 04:12 PM
bigsizejordan23

Would a Newer integra body kit(1994+) fit on a 1991 integra?

-- Asked elsewhere in forum and redirected as appropriate. --

NOTE: Please direct all replies regarding this post to the link below:
https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=249200

Thanks... TheOtherDave™

Last edited by TheOtherDave™; 09-12-2006 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Added link to duplicate thread in App/Cos: Showroom
Old 09-12-2006, 07:02 PM
PMI

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave™
Also, I went with OEM Honda parts
Thanks again,
Old 09-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Pilosopo

Default 98 Integ Gsr

I recently failed my smog test, the check engine light wasnt illuminated at all and i failed the test, all emmision was good but that OBD self check failed, i was told the smog checks for 7 monitors for the computer but i only have 4 monitors working. what do i do??
Old 09-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Condor018

I cannot seem to locate any gears (incl. reverse) on my manual 95 integra ls. Would a problem like this usually be associated with my shifting cables? If so, can anyone provide a remedy?
Old 09-24-2006, 08:45 PM
Junkie
neophyte

I have a 1990 Integra GS that I know doesn't have the stock engine in it (we bought it with a salvage title from theft), what is the easiest way to find out what engine is in it? I can't manage to find the title (stuff happens when you have a car for 14 years).

Also, under braking it will pull fairly hard to the left. The person who we loaned it to for a while seemed to think it was the master cylinder for some reason, does this make sense and how difficult would it be to replace or rebuild it?
Old 09-24-2006, 09:12 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by bigsizejordan23
Would a Newer integra body kit(1994+) fit on a 1991 integra?[/I]
No. The bodies are far too different for them to work. If a part is marked 94+, in most cases it will not fit a 90-93 car.
Originally Posted by Pilosopo
I recently failed my smog test, the check engine light wasnt illuminated at all and i failed the test, all emmision was good but that OBD self check failed, i was told the smog checks for 7 monitors for the computer but i only have 4 monitors working. what do i do??
We need more details, including the year and model of your car.
Originally Posted by Condor018
I cannot seem to locate any gears (incl. reverse) on my manual 95 integra ls. Would a problem like this usually be associated with my shifting cables? If so, can anyone provide a remedy?
Integras do not have shift cables, they have a solid shift linkage under the car. Check the roll pin that connects that rod to the trans, as well as the bushings in the shifter and the shift rod.
Originally Posted by Junkie
I have a 1990 Integra GS that I know doesn't have the stock engine in it (we bought it with a salvage title from theft), what is the easiest way to find out what engine is in it?
Look at the engine, then down to the exhaust manifold. Look to the left, where the engine mates to the trans... there will be a flat with the engine code and serial number on it. You probably have another B18A1 in there, as that is the cheapest engine you can fit in that chassis.
Originally Posted by Junkie
Also, under braking it will pull fairly hard to the left. The person who we loaned it to for a while seemed to think it was the master cylinder for some reason
YMost likely you have a frozen brake caliper on the right side, check them.