Old 09-12-2006, 06:22 AM
PMI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt - Again

Can something be gained by inspecting the timing belt as described in the '90-93 shop manual, given the car has less than 70K at over 15 years, and parked most of that time?

Background, for anyone interested:

1990 Integra with under 70K miles, normal maintenance for the first 6 years, then used as second car for 3-4. After that, engine run only every few weeks. Parked for the last two years.

Needs a thorough going over and a few simple things (3/4 exhaust, rusted out hard line in the p/s system, stiff shift linkage, fluids, filters, plugs etc.) Already have $300-400 in parts on order. Ideally I would like to drive the car and find out if it is worth more effort, either as a second car or a toy.

Belt, tensioner, and pump would be another $300, I believe. With more obvious repairs, I am not anxious to pay that or start replacing parts on an engine which seems to be running well, but - the car is over 15 years old, and any other car I was familiar w. reached the recommended replacement mileage for a new belt well b/f 6-8 years...

a) run not walk to the dealer for a new belt, tensioner and waterpump?

or,

b) drive it for a few weeks to see what else may fall off?

Comments, suggestions and snide remarks welcome...