Notices

nasty sound when shifting to 1st and 5th

Old 04-25-2005, 10:26 PM
Chizzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nasty sound when shifting to 1st and 5th

2 situations, sometimes i'm just simply upshifting to 5th and then sometimes i'm coming to a stop and the clutch is in and i try to put it into first. During these attempts I hear this mechanical clicking, very rapid. Sound the clutch is screeching. What could this be? The clutch is fully in during this..
Old 04-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I have ground many times trying to put it in first while coming to a stop. Hondas are the only car I have driven that doesn't like it when you do that. As for the 5th gear grind, does it do it all the time or just occasionally? It may be a worn clutch that is causing the grinding. When was the last time it was replaced and does the pedal feel different or does it engage lower to the floor than usual?
Old 04-25-2005, 10:43 PM
Chizzy

5th gear grind, occaisionally: 15%...if i remember correctly I might have been going a bit quicker then normal during those times...for the 1st gear downshift I think it only happens when I'm going atleast 2nd gear speeds(I'm not engaging the gear, just putting it into 1st with pedal all the way down). Pedal doens't feel different or engage lower. Clutch hasn't been replaced...125k (km's) on the 94 teg.

One other thing sometimes if I pull from first to second fast sometimes I hear a ripping sound, not disimilar to the grinding sound but it will actually go to 2nd instead of me having to pump clutch again. Is that something entirely different to worry about?
Old 04-25-2005, 10:58 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

With Hondas, you shouldn't even put it in 1st until you are completely stopped or you will most likely grind.

It sounds like your synchros are on their way out. At least the 5th gear synchro...

So are you saying that you are double clutching or shifting without the clutch on your occasionally aggressive 1st to 2nd shift? It will come out of gear without the clutch but it shouldn't go into 2nd without the clutch (or rev matching, which isn't recommended unless you like screwing up your transmission).
Old 04-25-2005, 11:07 PM
Chizzy

Originally Posted by Shmoo
With Hondas, you shouldn't even put it in 1st until you are completely stopped or you will most likely grind.

It sounds like your synchros are on their way out. At least the 5th gear synchro...

So are you saying that you are double clutching or shifting without the clutch on your occasionally aggressive 1st to 2nd shift? It will come out of gear without the clutch but it shouldn't go into 2nd without the clutch (or rev matching, which isn't recommended unless you like screwing up your transmission).
K gotcha on first gear. What needs to be replaced if the 5th gear synchro is on it's way out?
When I shift to second gear aggresively I hear a tearing sort of sound like I just tore a peice of fabric quickly, that is with the clutch pedal depressed fully while I pull the knob from 1st to 2nd. When i release the clutch, there is no problem.

btw: what is rev matching: is that reving it up to where the revs will go to when you release the clutch pedal? ex. I'm at 3000 revs going to second and I think that revs will be at 2000 say when I get into second so during the shift I get the revs to 2000?
Old 04-25-2005, 11:32 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by Chizzy
K gotcha on first gear. What needs to be replaced if the 5th gear synchro is on it's way out?
When I shift to second gear aggresively I hear a tearing sort of sound like I just tore a peice of fabric quickly, that is with the clutch pedal depressed fully while I pull the knob from 1st to 2nd. When i release the clutch, there is no problem.

btw: what is rev matching: is that reving it up to where the revs will go to when you release the clutch pedal? ex. I'm at 3000 revs going to second and I think that revs will be at 2000 say when I get into second so during the shift I get the revs to 2000?

If in fact it is your synchro, it would be easier and probably cheaper to buy a used, low mileage tranny than having yours rebuilt. It is probably ok to drive for now but when the grinding gets worse, it is probably time for a new tranny.

As for the 1st to 2nd shift, if it isn't affecting performance at all, I wouldn't worry about it.

That is one form of rev matching using the clutch but another would be when you match the revs so that you can shift into a particular gear without using the clutch. Again, I strongly recommend against this unless your clutch is out and you are on your way to a shop to get it fixed because it puts a lot of stress on the tranny and synchros.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:27 AM
Chizzy

Ok well thx for the tip about rev matching. (I personally thought it would be easier on the engine, it sounded to have a smoother transition) I'll tell my mechanic about the problem I'm having when I see him soon and go from there. Thx for the help. =)
Old 04-26-2005, 08:46 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Rev matching is perfectly fine as long as you are using the clutch to shift. It puts less strain on the clutch and transmission that way.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:53 AM
bnuk

As for the 5th gear grind I used to have the exact same problem when I first got my car. It was bad too, if I was accelerating hard and ran 4th out past 80 i would even be able to shift to 5th until I slowed down. Unless i shifted before 3500 it would grind no matter what. I replaced my tranny fluid with GM synchromesh and its shifted like a champ ever since, not a single 5th gear grind. Somepeople swear by the stuff, I'm not totally convinced since I have no idea what was in the tranny before I changed it out. But it might not be a bad idea to change or at least check your fluid. If you aren't sure about the GM stuff just get some Honda MTF, you can't go wrong with that. If you search for it there are a bunch of threads all about GM synchromesh.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:56 AM
Chizzy

yeh I always use the clutch to shift...thx for the tip on GM synchromesh bnuk, I'll try that.