Notices

So I received my steering wheel today for my Integra.

Old 12-30-2004, 08:07 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I received my steering wheel today for my Integra.

Question is, now I am debating as to whether I should install it or not. It seems kind of complicated from what I am reading here in some forums, not to mention getting the horn to work. I've also heard it is illegal to remove an operable airbag, is this true? Does anyone know anything more on that?
Old 12-30-2004, 08:38 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Technically, yes... it's illegal to disable or remove your airbags...but it's not a law that seems to be actively policed or prosecuted. Worst case scenario, you might get written up if you're stopped. So if you're paranoid (or plan to resell the car at some point), I'd hang on to your stock wheel.

I can't speak to the issue of horn problems. When I had installed my Sparco steering wheel on my old GTI, the horn worked from the first honk. h: But that was before airbags were in production.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!

Last edited by NorCal DC4; 12-30-2004 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:18 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Well, I decided to take a stab at it and I got as far as taking the wheel off and then looking at a spindle of some sort that was in the way and I was like...do I cut it? Negative. I tried to trace ot back under the column but it was heavily guarded by a metal bracket that appeared to be welded. So I decided to stay with the airbags. Oh well, if it were meant to be it would be a hell of a lot easier to put in. Now my SRS light is on even though I put it back to normal, but I'll figure that out later.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:30 PM
VPUPPY

did you turn the ignition on while the airbag was out? if so, probably need to get it reset, thats all.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:39 PM
rslsgsr
poor hungry dirt kid

Just take out the spindle and put the wheel in. No horn tho. There is an article floating around the net on how to make the horn work by using an older honda part.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:00 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Originally Posted by toukna
Just take out the spindle and put the wheel in. No horn tho. There is an article floating around the net on how to make the horn work by using an older honda part.
Yeah I know what your talking about. I printed it out and followed it as closely as I could, but there were slight diffrences where I was like WTF? I could have easily cut that SRS wire loom thing, but I wanted un-install properly, in case I ever wanted to re-install it ya know? Plus I want the horn, in case if ever do need to use it.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:50 AM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Well I put the hub and adaptor on Recycler for 150. No-one replied and I dit not want to feel as if I wasted my money, so I bought an electrical terminal kit and went at one last time. The ribbon spindle that got in the way the 1st time splits in 2 once you remove the retaining ring on the rear side. With that done I ran a hotwire from the horn inlet on the spindle, re-wound the ribbon, zipstripped it and tucked it up behind the steering column. So If I ever have to re-install th stock wheel all I have to do is un-zipstrip the ribbon spindle and go from there. As far as the horn? Well I had it wired through the wheel but it got all caught up when I turned, even w/excess slack it was getting tangling up. So I spared my foglight switch and wired it into the horn and now my horn is right next to my cruise control switch and the steering wheel turnes just fine and I didn't have to spare anything.