Notices

Tranny Clutch problem? Please Help!

Old 08-20-2004, 09:03 AM
BRAiN8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Clutch problem? Please Help!

Hi,

I have this problem, must be with tranny. Right now, when I shift it is HARD AS HELL!! I mean HARD! I have driven it around the block a little to just run it because it's been sitting. When I do drive it, it runs perfectly fine only after I do a bench press on the shift knob because it is hard on every gear. I want to avoid workin on the transmission. There's no sound coming from under the hood, the tranny doesn't grind, the clutch isn't hard. Everything is just normal except that it's hard to shift. I have replaced a brand new clutch and flywheel exactly a year ago this month. So it would be sad if I had to again so soon. I really hope that it isn't because the springs on my pressur plate broke? I've read abit and their descriptions seems to match the most. However when that does happen, does the car still run smooth and normal as mine does? So please any if you have any suggestions or answers, lend me a hand. I'm still workin on the transmission fluid. Just doing anything I can think of. THanks in advace.

Brian...
Old 08-20-2004, 09:14 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Same exact thing happened to me in my 97 LS at 97,000mi.
My clutch was nearly dead...the pressure plate springs had died, and the throwout bearing was going fast.
Transmission was fine.

Is your clutch an OEM or aftermarket?
If you're still within warranty, either on labor or parts, then I'd get this problem looked at today.
Oh, and what year is your Integra?
How many miles?

Another possibility is a leaking master or slave cylinder...has there been any fluid loss from the clutch hydraulic system?

And welcome to HAN. :cheers: Enjoy your stay.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 08-20-2004, 08:38 PM
BRAiN8

Thanks for you reply!

So does the mileage on my car/transmission affect it? My car..is overmileaged.. It's at about 150k, 1994. But like I said, brank new clutch and flywheel. The clutch I bought was an aftermarket OEM clutch.

Also my brother helped me out abit by checking the clutch hydraulic system but I think he only got to the master cyclinder. He said something about the fluid being low and added some fluid.

So if that was the case, dead pressure plate springs, would the car run as I have describe in my previous post? Would I hear anything noises, would the car stall, would the gears grind, etc? Anything to look for (except the fact that it is hard)?

Urgh! This gets to me. Well thanks again. And I'd appreciate more of your input. Oh and thanks for the welcoming.

Brian
Old 08-20-2004, 08:49 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

I actually had a chunk of the clutch disk melt off and get stuck between the disk and the pressure plate. As you can imagine, it would grind in every gear because the clutch never disengaged.

I would check it out but I would assume it isn't the same problem.

Good luck. Clutches are a bitch.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:33 PM
Sirreal45

He said the clutch is fine though...only the shifter is hard to move, have you check the shift linkage / bushings and the like? I would check that area out.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:43 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by BRAiN8
Thanks for you reply!
Also my brother helped me out abit by checking the clutch hydraulic system but I think he only got to the master cyclinder. He said something about the fluid being low and added some fluid.
You're quite welcome.

If the hydraulic system is low on fluid or leaking, then the clutch may not be disengaging fully. I'd carefully check the fittings on both the clutch master and slave cylinder. You may need to remove your intake to be able to see them clearly.

Given what you've said, my bet is you've got a leak somewhere, or perhaps the slave cylinder is worn out.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 08-23-2004, 09:00 AM
BRAiN8

I started out with the linkage and bushings. Didn't quite get to the bushing but once I did get the linkage deattached from the shifter, the shifter was smooth. Would the shifter be smooth, if I deattached it from the linkage? Maybe I need to regrease it? Thanks.

Brian
Old 08-23-2004, 09:59 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you can shift smoothly when the engine's turned off, then look at clutch disengagement, or maybe broken disks & stuff like that. Usually the shift lever will move OK just up to the point where the synchro blocks you out.

If the shift lever is uniformly stiff, that sounds like bushings & pivots in the shift linkage. You'll feel excess friction, which feels different than a synchro blocking you out of a gear.

Since the lever itself feels OK when the linkage is disconnected, then it's somewhere up forward. Something dragging where the shifter shaft goes into the transmission?