Notices

some help purchasing, *cowars*

Old 04-18-2004, 02:55 AM
podvodnik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some help purchasing, *cowars*

Hey guys whats up, just need some SERIOUS advice, I'm makin a deal on a GS-R but I got the butterflies, seems like I gotta reasure my instinct is just acting up for no reason.

Ok so bro I'm getting this killer deal of a GSR, it's 55000mls for 10500$, great cond, only mods have been the intake and it comes with the original intake. MINOR bro, MINOR body blemishes (like these scratches here and a little bump there). I get suspicious start pourin the Q's the dudes like, so ya I pointed out this overpaint on the drivers side door (after market) and he "forgets" what happened, later on he says "oh some bricks fell on it"...I dont see any OBVIOUS frame damage but I'm shitless that this dudes gonna either **** me over or give a great deal. Also that side of the door has problems with the window starting to open up...no grinding in any of the gears the engine sounds good (still worried he might have ****ed with it, without me knowin aye). Ok so like I said, looks STOCK (thats good I don't trust anyone elses work u kno, heh) so is the radio n shit (appareantly, who knows if he had one in there). BRAND NEW tires, dno WHY he changed the old, and no clutch changes (says hes been driving stick)...

So, I find this site about RECALLS for the 99 GSR

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/990113_en.html

WTF bro, is this for real? "1.8L DOHC (VTEC) MFI" exactly what im gettin and he could be pullin a fast one. I dont understand the site, I need some SERIOUS help here.

Anyone got ANY precautions I can take before the final transition, what else is there to know about this car? Should the motor say "honda motor co.?" I've only seen HONDA MOTOR CO on an ACURA with the ACURA sign on it, looks like VTEC 4 cyl but Im scared, help me out dudes! THNX
Old 04-18-2004, 01:25 PM
g2tegls
MR, ftw

yeah all acuras will say Honda motor co on the engine. If you feel like the guy's shady then leave it. :dunno: Better safe than sorry.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:57 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

I suggest having a pre-purchase inspection of the car done at a qualified Honda/Acura shop. That way you'll know exactly what you're getting in to.

Oh and if you could try to stop inserting the word "bro" at random points in the middle of your sentences that would be great. Makes it harder to read.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:17 PM
podvodnik

lmao @ bro sorry i actually wrote that for a friend first and just kinda copy and pasted some of it...about the inspection (i know body shops cant tell for serious frame damage unless they take the car apart) would the inspection require doing this? its probably expensive too

cuz its like this...my dad has had a body shop for 30 years and he detected all the things the guy didnt tell us about...only thing he CANT check for is covered up rust (which he checked for) and frame damage that isnt detectable (if theres non in the front theres non below the mirror area)...my concern is the engine, if hes taken it apart, if theres mechanical things he hasnt told us about, or accidents or something he doesnt wanna let me know....it seems TOO good to be true, and like his mom and all the people in his area were all out and like "good going you sold it" and all this, seems like a real nice guy too, i think im gonna trust my dad on this one (hes always right), its just ive got this feeling

good thing is hes a good driver, drove stick all his life and hes from the same country my parents are from...never changed the clutch...i think after sleepin on it im gonna stick with the deal
Old 04-18-2004, 06:24 PM
c_rogue69
wtf goes here?

Originally Posted by podvodnik
about the inspection (i know body shops cant tell for serious frame damage unless they take the car apart)
Actually, if you get with a GOOD body repair Man, all he has to do is put the car on a lift, and look at it, then he can tell if it's been messed with. Then, he could put it on a frame machine to check the specs to see if everything lines up correctly. It might be kinda expensive, but if you're worried about the frame, it's the best way to go. Just my two cents.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:11 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

A pre-purchase inspection of all the mechanical aspects of the car at a good shop should run you under $150 and be pretty comprehensive in telling you what, if anything, is wrong with the car.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:19 AM
podvodnik

everyones telling me to walk from the deal (on other boards and just friends in gen) but its like ive got non willing parents to make an effort to get a car i want so i feel so compelled to grab this one...i heard out in el cajon they got cheaper prices on the lot (cheap lots n what not), but god knows where the cars come from (could do a DMV check on them tho, dont want rust or nothin)...its just im between a rock and a hard place...

so if i take it to a shop (mind you my father checked for frame damage but didnt detect any on the door) they can detect if there is frame damage with the door and any mechanical problems with the engine??
Old 04-19-2004, 08:45 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Dunno about frame damage.

Mainly I was talking about mechanical stuff.

It also depends on the shop. Call em up and ask around.