Notices

front / rear brake pads question

Old 04-01-2004, 05:04 AM
androoloo
androoloo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front / rear brake pads question

Here is the deal, I have a 1997 Integra LS. I have minimal mods and I only use it for spirited daily driving (no autocross etc...). I recently took my car in (to a honda/acura local shop) because the brakes were squeeking. The brakes were previously replaced at some Mr. Tire or something about 30K ago. Anyway, I thought it was my front brake pads that needed replacing, but it turned out to be my rear pads. So I got them replaced and the mechanic said that the front pads were fine but that they will continue to squeek because they are not OEM parts. Anyway, it turns out that I need to change my timing belt and water pump. The front brakes are driving me nuts with all the noise they are making. So here is my question: can I put some nicer pads like Hawk HPS on the front ONLY while I have OEM pads on the rear? Would that put more stress on the front brakes? Or is it ok to have different pads on the front or back? What is your recommendation? Should I just put OEM on the front too so that they match? I know that the Hawk HPS will make more noise than OEM but does that mean they will squeek? What will the more noise be? How bad is the dusting too? Also, if you have a better recommendation front brake pads for fun daily driving, please let me know.

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long thread.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:07 AM
newgsrdriver

You'll be fine with different pads on the front.

And chances are, the reason theyre squeaking is because they never greased the back of the shim. I would do it myself, and be sure to add some grease.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:14 AM
b00gers

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...ighlight=brake

good insightful stuff in there.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:14 AM
Tobra

They gave you a line of crap about the non OEM pads squeeking. It is a simple job, you can upgrade the front pads only and suffer no ill effects. High perf pads will dust, there is no second answer to that one. The only noise my axxis pads make is when the car has not been driven for a while and there is a little rust on the rotors. They dust more when I hammer on them, but it is wel worth it because now I stop sooo much better
Old 04-02-2004, 07:50 AM
androoloo
androoloo

Thanks guys. I will get them changed then. So then do you guys know why my current pads are squealing really badly then? Just cheap pads?
Old 04-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Judge
Kryptonite

My frony brakes were squeeking too not too long ago, it could be the pads, or that the rotor is rusting and causing bad friction with the pads, but I still have like 10,000 km left on my pads so I applied some anti squeeking and the noise is gone.

Eventually once they are done, I will go with Brembo.

Originally Posted by androoloo
Thanks guys. I will get them changed then. So then do you guys know why my current pads are squealing really badly then? Just cheap pads?
Old 04-03-2004, 12:09 AM
mr.hyde

personally, OEM pads are pretty good in itself considering your use. Just buy a set and replace them yourselve. I've changed mine with OEM pads like 4 years ago and have since put on at least 65k miles on them and never made a sound. Their relatively cheap and they last forever.