Notices

Automatic....is there anything i can do

Old 01-21-2004, 12:16 AM
93HybridCX
Beast from the East

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by SpeeDDemon69
link works fine for me. if not just go directly to they're main site. Yeah I just noticed you where talking about TCI.
Yeah thats I was talking about the TCI thats the only one I have heard of(since I usually don't deal with autos). Thanks for the info.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:23 AM
SpeeDDemon69

no prob, I didn't even know TCI started making TC for imports. Now I know. Had to add smiles on my posts or else it would sound like I was mad. Lates
Old 01-21-2004, 11:30 AM
JGordon

Originally posted by 95 teg se
Dont forget though a auto ls runs about a 16.8 stock and with bolt ons and a torque converter upgrade you would probably still be in the low-mid 15s, which is what a stock/CAI gsr would run.
I really doubt you'd be able to get down to the mid-low 15s with just the mod's listed. With basic bolt-ons (intake, header, exhaust, cat), most LS 5-speeds run high 15s. Even with a good torque converter and tranny cooler upgrade, the auto will still shift slower than a competent manual driver, and you'll still only have 4 looooong gears to play with. I'd be surprised if that auto would even break into the 15s, much less run a low one.

Edit -- my .02 cents -- the only time auto's are good on a performance vehicle is if you have a massive amount of horspower (i.e. over 600) and your car is pretty much a drag only vehicle that you need to hit perfect shifts every time.
I say sell the AT and get an MT, or just accept the slowness and concentrate on handling.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:42 AM
Captain Ratman

Originally posted by JGordon

I really doubt you'd be able to get down to the mid-low 15s with just the mod's listed. With basic bolt-ons (intake, header, exhaust, cat), most LS 5-speeds run high 15s. Even with a good torque converter and tranny cooler upgrade, the auto will still shift slower than a competent manual driver, and you'll still only have 4 looooong gears to play with. I'd be surprised if that auto would even break into the 15s, much less run a low one.

Edit -- my .02 cents -- the only time auto's are good on a performance vehicle is if you have a massive amount of horspower (i.e. over 600) and your car is pretty much a drag only vehicle that you need to hit perfect shifts every time.
I say sell the AT and get an MT, or just accept the slowness and concentrate on handling.
I will bet that he would get into the low 15's with a bolt-on turbo kit. I did with my '96 LS auto

Scott.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:59 AM
JGordon

Originally posted by Captain Ratman
I will bet that he would get into the low 15's with a bolt-on turbo kit. I did with my '96 LS auto
Almost certainly.
But that goes a wee bit beyond the "basic bolt-ons" that we were talking about, wouldn't you agree?
$3000 turbo kit > $1000 I/H/E

Edit -- and have you taken it to the strip? what are your times?
Old 01-21-2004, 08:15 PM
joshman

Thanks for the link speeddemon, i spent hours lookin for somethin like that.
After i get the torque converter i'll deffinatley go for some bolt ons, and possibly a turbo, highly doubtful though.
I just want to get the torque converter so its a bit faster off the line and so its more responsive, after that i'll head to some easy bolt ons and handling as well. or i just might sell the damn thing and go with a 1990 supra. but who knows i might save up for a type r.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:17 PM
joshman

Hey speeddemon, do they sell any brand new torque converters, because i dont want to have someone take mine off and send it in, then i wont have a car to drive. i just want to buy a whole seperate one and have someone install it.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:05 PM
95 teg se

The best thing to do in that situation is to find somebody parting out an integra that will sell the TC for cheap(like $20 or something). Anyway, TCI(entirely new unit) and the levelten basically do the same shit. They cut your TC open, modify the veins and weld it back shut with new fluid. To my knowledge it is the best upgrade to do with an auto(with tranny cooler, which is like $35+install which is easy). The integra auto shifts extremely fast and is has very firm shifts, so please dont say its shit. Also note that altitude and track conditions play a large roll in 1/4 mile times...along with tire selection. So, if you friend with a LS cant seem to hit a high 15 with ebay bolt ons, please dont say it cant be done. Also, the auto has lock-up solenoids for the TC that tell it when to lock in 1:1, before it locks in your TC acts like a hydraulic pump and more or less lowers your gear ratio(please note: LS autos first gear is 11.8:1 whereas a gsr is 14.2:1. Thus, youre going to need more power to turn over that steeper gearing. Again, please note...I had an LS auto, gave up, sold it, bought a gsr. Also note that my gsr is faster stock then my auto would be with quite a bit of shit done to it.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:47 PM
SpeeDDemon69

Originally posted by 95 teg se
Anyway, TCI(entirely new unit) and the levelten basically do the same shit.
Sorry Level 10 can customize to your liking like I said earlier And is also cheaper like I also said earlier. TCI come's as is.

Also joshman if you want call Level Ten up and tell them that you don't want to send yours in until you install the new one, They'll send you a modified converter, charge you a core fee than when they receive your original T.C. back, they'll take back that fee. Also When you speak to them ask them that your unsure of the stall speed you want and they'll tell you which one might fit you best.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:11 PM
joshman

alright sounds good