Notices

What does valve adjustment do? How much is it?

Old 10-12-2003, 09:30 AM
integboy97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 95TEGGY
do you drive your car hard or something, why did it go out at 74k? What can i do to prevent that from happening cause i got 92k miles on mine.

umm, no! well at times i do but not like 24/7 plus i got the car used so i dunno what the guy before me did when driving it...its all a matter of time for the timing belt...some go soon some go late...but if you wait , youll fawk yourself in the end! i ended up repalcing the belt and the water pump at the same time to save some $$$
Old 10-21-2003, 11:22 AM
Q2Ggirl

I guess it depends on where you take it to have the timing belt and water pump replaced. The dealer screwed me as ususal and I paid roughly $400-500 from what I remember. I need a reference for a Houston mechanic bad. The dealership is making too much money off of me.....
Old 10-21-2003, 01:31 PM
95TEGGY

damn, i need timing belt, clutch (soon), water pump, power steering pump possibly cause its making weird ass noise, valve adjustment. Its gonna drain me, shiat. What do you guys think i should do first? and how much is it gonna be ?
Old 10-21-2003, 01:57 PM
tyipengr

95TEGGY:

Did you try changing the PS fluid? I mean flush it out and replenish it with fresh Honda-brand stuff? My power steering was making some creakin noises and I flushed it out and it stopped.

Another thing is you might be hearing the whining from a worn PS belt, not sure if that actually happens but it is a possiblity.

Honestly though, I think that if you can get your hands on a service manual and can find a way to get off the crankshaft pulley bolt you can totally do all that (minus the clutch, I dunno how much that costs or how to do it) for like less than $200. Timing belt is like $40, PS belt is around $10, the better Honda water pump is around $90, $15+ for Honda coolant, $5 for a feeler gauge if you don't alrady have one for the valve clearance, 3-5 bottles of Honda PS fluid, like $10, $1.50 for some vinyl hose to drain the PS fluid before you fill it up with the new stuff, $9 bucks for a valve cover gasket, $13 for Hondabond HT if you don't already have it.

Another possible add-on would be a new timing belt tensioner depending on if you need one or not.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:32 PM
95TEGGY

Aright, i emailed acura dealer and asked them the pricing on all of that stuff, lets see how much it all gonna cost and then ill go from there. The first thing that im thiking of doing is taking the car to the dealer and have them take a look at the timeing belt and tell me if i need to replace it, after that imma take the car for test drive with one of their mechanics since its free so that they can tell me what the whining noise is. If timing belt is fine then imma go ahead and do the valve adjustment and fix that whining noise as well if they say its big problem.

Thanks
Old 11-07-2003, 08:18 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

Why do you say you got screwed for 400-500 hundred for a tbelt and water pump, thats what it costs about at my dealership....

And also, do you realize what it involves? it takes me about three good hours to do the job right, incuding valve adjustment and road test afterwards. The parts alone are about 150-200