Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Trying to lower FP's on AEM FPR...

Old 05-17-2009, 11:51 PM
A-dub5513

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to lower FP's on AEM FPR...

I've got the JRSC (8 lb. stepper) runnin' pretty decent. It could, however, benefit from a slight decrease in FP's at idle for a bit more low-end. Originally, I wasn't sure if I was using the correct orifice (one of three interchangeable discharge ports). But I've since confirmed that I was already using the largest of the three supplied (.200").

According to AEM, their FPR's range is 20 psi min. to xxx max. of any HO pump. Although they don't specify whether those figures are static or not, even assuming they meant idle pressures, with the largest port and the set screw backed out all the way, the lowest I can achieve is 29 psi. (@ about 36 static).

I was thinking about drilling out a larger port on one of the spare orifices (has been done before, it works, and is easy to do), but wanted to know what the possible causes could be.

I'm sure wild possibilities could range from stuck FPR spring or diaphragm to clogged filter to pieces of teflon tape (used to thread gauge atop filter) stuck in the system. I'm sure it's possible, however, unlikely.

Are there any other likely causes? Does the use of larger injectors (310's) cause such an effect?

A-dub

Last edited by A-dub5513; 05-17-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:38 AM
A-dub5513

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, something I haven't thought of (or even heard about) that was brought to my attention was that the OEM 1/4" fuel lines weren't adequate for pressures below 30 psi. and that I should upgrade to 5/16" or -6 AN hose on the return side of the fuel rail.

It seems to make sense to me. Does anyone else agree or see how this may, or may not, work?

Again, the other alternative, my original plan, was to take apart the FPR, take out the interchangeable discharge port and enlarging the .200" port to, say, .225". Like I said in the OP, I'm trying to reach the targeted 28 psi., which is only 2 to 3 less than where I'm at now. Thanks.

A-dub