Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

What Lube to use when rebuilding motor?

Old 06-18-2002, 12:46 PM
sid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Lube to use when rebuilding motor?

I'm going to be putting my motor back together this weekend and was wondering what type of lubricant you guys use when putting all the bolts back in to the block, crank, head, etc...

This is my first time putting a motor back together so any tips would be great if anybody has any.

I picked up all new gaskets and seals from the dealership today and am now just waiting for the pistons I ordered to arrive so I can have the block fitted for them.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:00 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sealed Power makes a nice assembly lube. The main thing is to use a single brand for the entire thing, start with a NEW tube/bottle/whatever, and be very liberal with the stuff. Also, for doing the lower end, make sure your hands are CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN, you don't want to start a brand new engine off on the wrong foot. Use new engine oil for putting the pistons and rings in the cylinders, assembly lube is a bit on the stiff side, although it will work. Once you get the oil pan in place and the engine flipped back over to put the head on, then you don't have to be *quite* as surgical, I just prefer to be super clean when putting a lower end together since it doesn't take much to screw up a good build, but takes a lot of TLC for it to go right.