Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Labor Charges

Old 06-17-2002, 08:12 PM
incublinkus
JDM Fan Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Labor Charges

a shop around my house quoted me $1000-$1500 for labor charges to install a B16A or a B18C into my 6th gen EX civic. is that good or way to high?
Old 06-17-2002, 09:53 PM
2low2towHB

id deffinatly say way to high. what kind of shop is it? i guess it matters on where you live. if the scene isnt real big and shops are scarce then your gonna get raped
Old 06-18-2002, 05:02 AM
incublinkus
JDM Fan Boy

yeah, shops a pretty few and far between. Whats a reasonable labor charge?

the shop is looks like a pretty reputable one. they are a ditributor for major brands like HKS, GReddy, Apex'i, Bomex, Wings West, Ground Designs, DC Sports, etc. They do a ton of volkswagen engine swaps as well, and when I was there they just finished putting a type-r motor into civic dx hatch. its looked like a good job.

but the scene isn't very big in my area. before I heard of this place which is only like 20 minutes away, I was going to travel to 2 hours or so to some shops in NJ.

I think I could do the swap myself. the problem is the equipment and tools. I don't have airtool or anything like that. I also don't really have much experience with engine. I've been reading a ton lately and I think I could do it, but once again, no hand on experience.
Old 06-18-2002, 05:36 AM
2low2towHB

personaly i would do it myself. but shops here in AZ do them for about 500. I guess it matters on what your willing to spend? btw what do you need an air gun for?
Old 06-18-2002, 07:30 AM
incublinkus
JDM Fan Boy

I heard some of the bolts are really freakin tight
Old 06-18-2002, 07:35 AM
white lightnin

Originally posted by incublinkus
yeah, shops a pretty few and far between. Whats a reasonable labor charge?

the shop is looks like a pretty reputable one. they are a ditributor for major brands like HKS, GReddy, Apex'i, Bomex, Wings West, Ground Designs, DC Sports, etc. They do a ton of volkswagen engine swaps as well, and when I was there they just finished putting a type-r motor into civic dx hatch. its looked like a good job.

but the scene isn't very big in my area. before I heard of this place which is only like 20 minutes away, I was going to travel to 2 hours or so to some shops in NJ.

I think I could do the swap myself. the problem is the equipment and tools. I don't have airtool or anything like that. I also don't really have much experience with engine. I've been reading a ton lately and I think I could do it, but once again, no hand on experience.
Get a breaker bar and you will be set. The hardest nut to remove is suposedly the axle nut. We slipped a stop sign post (dont worry didnt steal it) around the breaker bar and those came right off. Air tools will make it go quicker but they arent required. My friedns and I do all of our own work using two 50 piece socket sets from ace hardware, a breaker bar, a set of regular metric wrenches, and a set of metric deepsockets. Spend 100 dollars on some decent tools, a few bucks renting a lift and you will be set. Spend the extra money on some beer for any helpers and more mods for your car:naughty:
Old 06-18-2002, 01:46 PM
2low2towHB

yeah white lighting pretty laid it all out for you. also a tourch is a mans best friend when it comes to coroded bolts and nuts. Heat it up and they break loose. I would definatly recomend doing it yourself, get yourself a helms manuel and you should be good. Its not like your building it. Your just swapping it. allthough general knowledge of the engine is very helpfull