Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

when installing a turbo

Old 11-03-2002, 12:24 PM
acurars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when installing a turbo

when installing a turbo oil line why cant you use the oil drain hole?
Old 11-03-2002, 12:38 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The turbo's feed line needs oil pressure. There would be no pressure if you used the drain on the pan, and your turbo would seize shortly after starup from a lack of oil.
Old 11-03-2002, 03:44 PM
acurars

im talking about the oil return line
Old 11-03-2002, 04:03 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Originally posted by acurars
im talking about the oil return line
A turbo's drain line depends on gravity to function properly. The oil from the turbo usually runs down to a fitting toward the top of the oil pan. If you routed the turbo's drain oil all the way to the back of the oil pan to the drain bolt, it would be below the oil level in the pan. If you did that, oil would stay stuck in the drain line, at a height equal to the level of the oil in the pan, and might even back-up into the turbo's CHRA. This will prevent the turbo from draining properly, which could cause the oil seals to fail prematurely. The drain fitting that you put in the pan needs to be as high as possible, in order to keep it above the oil level in the pan.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:41 AM
acurars

right on thanks
Old 01-04-2003, 06:45 AM
genyosai

Originally posted by inspyral
If you did that, oil would stay stuck in the drain line, at a height equal to the level of the oil in the pan, and might even back-up into the turbo's CHRA. This will prevent the turbo from draining properly, which could cause the oil seals to fail prematurely.
I suppose that this could apply to overfilling when changing your oil as well, right? I think I just screwed up my new turbo by doing this. I recently switched to a LS/VTEC setup (really I have all GSR internals in a B18A block... long story). Anyway, I changed my oil after the engine's first 30 minutes of running. I have the Moroso oil pan, so I filled with 5.7qts, forgetting that now I have oil feed lines to the cylinder head as well. I think I've ended up with an oil level that reaches the turbo drain plug. I'm about to find out in a second for sure, but I can say that oil is leaking from the discharge side and from the front of the turbine housing where the v-band is... a brand new turbo, possibly shot! GEES!
Old 01-04-2003, 11:27 AM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Are you using the pre-existing turbo drain fitting on the Moroso pan? How high is it located on the pan? If I remember correctly, it's relatively high.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:49 AM
genyosai

Yes, I am. The problem is that silly me over filled the dang pan. I know this now because I removed my fitting from that location on the pan and oil poured from the hole as if it were the drain plug. How did I manage this? I filled the crankcase until is read normal on the dip stick... NOT taking into consideration that I have the front end of the freakin' car on jackstands!

I've just put my old T3/T04B turbo back on until I get my 04E repaired. Uhhhg! Back to 310whp!
Old 01-04-2003, 03:41 PM
inspyral
のんびり~(´ε`)

Dang, so you took the T3/T04E off and it looked like the seals were gone? That's weak
Old 01-04-2003, 05:57 PM
Redcivic
One of the original OG's

Damn......Sorry man.