Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

crv/vtec

Old 09-14-2006, 04:34 PM
colombian_jam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crv/vtec

well guys how i told u i bougth a hatchback 1994 and i heard the the best swap for speed and torque is to get at crv block with a b16a head i dont know how reliable is hat im taking opinion thanx
and whats the best computer for the set up
Old 09-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

It will be plenty reliable as long as you don't bring it over the stock B20 rev limit, if you decide to atleast get ARP rod bolts.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:11 PM
RicoD
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by Omniscient
It will be plenty reliable as long as you don't bring it over the stock B20 rev limit, if you decide to atleast get ARP rod bolts.

even if he doesn't plan to, he might as well buy/install the arp rod bolts/headstuds/etc... while the engine is in pieces just incase...
Old 09-15-2006, 12:12 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

The best N/A swap for "speed" and torque would be a K24, but that will empty your wallet and max out your credit card.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:24 AM
colombian_jam

Originally Posted by Omniscient
what i would be the rev limit for the block also i would like to have as a daily driver it would be good to have that set up , and besides the block and the head what else would i need (computer motor mounts wiring harness and what else please and new with these stuff of build a engines and not good on that )
thanks i really aprreciate if you guys help me
thanx
Old 09-19-2006, 11:04 AM
primetime

Originally Posted by colombian_jam
well guys how i told u i bougth a hatchback 1994 and i heard the the best swap for speed and torque is to get at crv block with a b16a head i dont know how reliable is hat im taking opinion thanx
and whats the best computer for the set up
Best way to go is to get a B16a or B18c motor, find a B18a/b crank and LS rods with GSR crank and rod bearings and use CTR pistons(if you stay N/A) Forged LS Pistons and LS Rods if turbo!! this way you still have the ls/vtec set up and trq without the hassle of an outside oil line or a special head gasket, blocking off an oil squirter etc. etc.
I've been running an ls/vtec for 2 years!!
Old 09-21-2006, 08:09 AM
colombian_jam

Originally Posted by primetime
Best way to go is to get a B16a or B18c motor, find a B18a/b crank and LS rods with GSR crank and rod bearings and use CTR pistons(if you stay N/A) Forged LS Pistons and LS Rods if turbo!! this way you still have the ls/vtec set up and trq without the hassle of an outside oil line or a special head gasket, blocking off an oil squirter etc. etc.
I've been running an ls/vtec for 2 years!!
thanks
now ls vtec is the same as crv vtec or its a diference between tose two set ups
Old 09-21-2006, 12:10 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

thanks
lsvtec = b18a/b block
crvtec = b20b/z block

difference of .2l displacement
Old 09-21-2006, 12:26 PM
primetime

thanks
The pistons in the LS 81mm The crv pistons are 84mm! the LS sleeves are stronger which would allow you to run 10psi from a turbo if you wanted to, without needing to change the pistons or sleeves this is also true for the gsr and type R blocks. The B20 (crv block) Would need to be resleeved to run any amount of boost safely!!

the stroke is a little bit bigger in the b20 than the LS but not by much!! if you can get your hands on a gsr, type r, or b16a block you can use the LS crank and rods to gets the same result as you would get buy doing an lsvtec or crvtec without all of the hassle!!

what you need is:

1. b18c block or b16a(civic type R)
2. b18a/b crank
3. b18a/b rods and pistons (if you want high boost from turbo, more than 10psi use forged LS rods and pistons)
4. gsr crank bearings and rod bearings ( no machining required)

and you will be all set!!!
Old 09-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally Posted by primetime
The pistons in the LS 81mm The crv pistons are 84mm! the LS sleeves are stronger which would allow you to run 10psi from a turbo if you wanted to, without needing to change the pistons or sleeves this is also true for the gsr and type R blocks. The B20 (crv block) Would need to be resleeved to run any amount of boost safely!!

the stroke is a little bit bigger in the b20 than the LS but not by much!! if you can get your hands on a gsr, type r, or b16a block you can use the LS crank and rods to gets the same result as you would get buy doing an lsvtec or crvtec without all of the hassle!!

what you need is:

1. b18c block or b16a(civic type R)
2. b18a/b crank
3. b18a/b rods and pistons (if you want high boost from turbo, more than 10psi use forged LS rods and pistons)
4. gsr crank bearings and rod bearings ( no machining required)

and you will be all set!!!
:eh:

1. b18's and b20's can easily take more than 10psi on the stock block. you just have to have a good tune so it doesnt blow
2. b18b's and b20's have the same 89mm stroke
3. you cannot use an ls crank and rods in a b16a without custom pistons with relocated wrist pin holes. otherwise the pistons would stick out of the cylinder
4. b16b is a ctr engine