Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Tempeture Shifting

Old 04-12-2006, 08:22 AM
jokeintegra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tempeture Shifting

Ok so I just got my timing belt, water pump and tensioner replaced last week. I was driving around, decided to go down the freeway for a quick run! Was running up to about 7G then shifting and I noticed the temperature gauge goin up to almost 3/4. Never seen the car do this before! Keep in mind I have a B18C in a 92 civic with the stock radiator. I am planning on replacing the radiator! Should I replace the thermostat first?!
Old 04-12-2006, 11:17 AM
coltank

make sure you don't have any air in your system
Old 04-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

I could overheat my '92 CX/B18C1 hybrid just going 85-90 on the highway for long periods of time when the weather was hot (90+ degrees). I put a Civic Fluidyne radiator in and never had another problem.

I personally don't care for lower temperature thermostats and higher pressure radiator caps. They seem like bandaid solutions for a bigger problem, insufficient cooling. One issue I had that I could have addressed and didn't was air going around my radiator. My CX had no A/C and I removed the plastic shroud that blocked that opening. I also had removed the lower splash guard as well. I believe if I had put these back in place, it would have forced more air to go through the radiator and improve it's ability to cool but I never did. My CX rad also had 150k miles on it as well and it was no longer an issue with the Fluidyne. If you don't want to spend the money and do not have A/C, consider installing an Integra radiator. You will have to fabricate some mounts for it but it should provide sufficient cooling for little money. Of course, as mentioned above, also make sure there is no air in the system.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.