Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Does an in intake make a difference?

Old 01-26-2004, 09:32 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the fact u pay 3 times more and aem has better filter, also is one piece and better built.
i installed a generic in my car and the battery is pushing against the tube since they didnt really make it right, its all good though(gonna relocate batt. anyways). At a certain RPM, thrs a whine to it, sounds like turbo.
defintely get an apexi filter though, saw test results against K&N, Blitz and the foam one, apexi is the best (lifetime durability and zero maintenence).
Old 01-27-2004, 12:38 AM
qtiger

Originally Posted by bencallebaut
Is there a difference between those cheap cold air intakes you buy on e-bay and the ones from aem?
One is dyno tuned for best performance. The other is the cheapest set of elbows that can get pipe between two points. There's a large difference.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:20 PM
bikerchris13

get a bypass valve if you can. i got my rex with an aem cai already on it and now i'm in the process of replacing the block due to filling #1 up with water... yippeeee!
Old 01-27-2004, 03:09 PM
dustimus
Better golfer than you

dont drive in the rain/lake h:
Old 01-31-2004, 11:24 PM
accordfreak

when i first bought i h e.. i thought i had a good power increase but i regret it.. i think it's all a waste of money IMHO
Old 02-02-2004, 06:56 AM
jonharb

just about anything you do to your car will increase power (you know what i mean, dont be dumb). a CAI will increase power, its cheap, it looks cool (for you fast and furious bunch), plus itll help alot when you install headers and exhaust. No you iwll not see a big difference usually if its your first upgrade or its the only thing on your car, but the more you do to the intake, exhaust, and add bigger injecters, the more you will feel it. Here's what you should do in my opinion. Install a AEM V2 CAI w/bypass valve, its worth it. Then install hearders, high flow cat, and exhaust, I'd say about 2 3/4 in piping, unless you want turbo then add about 1/2 in. Then after that add Accels injecters from like summitracing.com, theyll add the extra fuel to take advantage of the mod's youve done. After all that you will for sure feel that kick in your pants you want. If not, get a B18c5 and have fun
Old 02-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally Posted by jonharb
just about anything you do to your car will increase power (you know what i mean, dont be dumb). a CAI will increase power, its cheap, it looks cool (for you fast and furious bunch), plus itll help alot when you install headers and exhaust. No you iwll not see a big difference usually if its your first upgrade or its the only thing on your car, but the more you do to the intake, exhaust, and add bigger injecters, the more you will feel it. Here's what you should do in my opinion. Install a AEM V2 CAI w/bypass valve, its worth it. Then install hearders, high flow cat, and exhaust, I'd say about 2 3/4 in piping, unless you want turbo then add about 1/2 in. Then after that add Accels injecters from like summitracing.com, theyll add the extra fuel to take advantage of the mod's youve done. After all that you will for sure feel that kick in your pants you want. If not, get a B18c5 and have fun
you have no idea what you're talking about its funny :hahano:
Old 02-02-2004, 04:20 PM
bencallebaut

Originally Posted by bikerchris13
get a bypass valve if you can. i got my rex with an aem cai already on it and now i'm in the process of replacing the block due to filling #1 up with water... yippeeee!
i just bought an AEm Cai, and I live in Cali where it rains from time to time, am I sure to suck in water if I dont get a bypass valve?
Old 02-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally Posted by bencallebaut
i just bought an AEm Cai, and I live in Cali where it rains from time to time, am I sure to suck in water if I dont get a bypass valve?
your filter has to be COMPLETELY submerged for it to suck in water.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:32 PM
ZiviCase10287
RacinMasonC

fu*k AEM.. all you're buying is the name... go on ebay and spend 50 for a cold air intake that does the same thing for cheaper. also why not just get a cone style filter and put it on the stock intake tube? its short ram for you for $10-15, still is loud and will gain maybe 1 hp less.