Notices
Drag Strip From the staging lanes to the finish line, this is the spot for on-track drag racing discussion.

Buddies LS vs. 350z *pics*

Old 12-24-2003, 08:50 AM
ludeboom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Diablo
are you admiting that you are a ricer?lol

i like the 350z, looks wise. But it is sorta disappointment. I mean 10 years ago the 300zx TT was runnin the same times as the new 350 is. I owuld think i n10 years they could make a little improvement in the performance. I think the same thing about the rx-8 only the rx-8 is even worse. The TT rx-7s were mid 13's stock which is preety damn fast fora stock car and they also responded well to mods( they just werent reliable, to much boost didnt go well with the rotary). And also 10 years later they come out with the rx-8, not only is it not as fast but it is more than a second slower. highs 14's is a dsgrace for performance orriented name as the RX.

well lets not overlook the fact that those older cars you just mentioned are turbo charged. the new Z is NA, so is the RX8.
these manufacturers are trying their hand at making a fast NA engine. the new 3.5 motor as jkan im sure can tell you, is a real monster.
ive driven both the rx8 and new Z and am not impressed with the rx8 at all, except for the redline.
however the Z just goes, there is almost no hesitation
great car

~boom

~boom
Old 12-24-2003, 08:20 PM
yellow civic ex
ghey slow d16 modder

i wonder why most companies shy away from turbochargers these days...it just doesn't make sense. modern turbochargers are VERY reliable and drastically increase performance.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:31 PM
madhandles03
SC34 powered LS-T

Yeah I dunno...only reason I can think of is insurance rates possibly? Of course, for people over 25, all insurance is around the same price.:dunno:
Old 12-24-2003, 09:47 PM
yellow civic ex
ghey slow d16 modder

i dont think a turbo makes any difference with insurance. i think it just has to do with trends in accidents for various car, year of the car, and # of seats and doors.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:47 AM
madhandles03
SC34 powered LS-T

Well Im sure the turbo aspect has something to do with trends in accidents...because my friend was looking to buy an eclipse... and the gst insurance was much more than the gs insurance, but Im not an insurance agent so I really have no idea, your guess is as good as mine.
Old 12-25-2003, 01:57 PM
yellow civic ex
ghey slow d16 modder

probably true. it might also be though that the gst is just worth more.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:17 PM
Fast-Ford
Loves Nascar, NHRA & SCCA

Originally posted by ludeboom
well lets not overlook the fact that those older cars you just mentioned are turbo charged. the new Z is NA, so is the RX8.
these manufacturers are trying their hand at making a fast NA engine. the new 3.5 motor as jkan im sure can tell you, is a real monster.
ive driven both the rx8 and new Z and am not impressed with the rx8 at all, except for the redline.
however the Z just goes, there is almost no hesitation
great car

~boom

~boom
This is a good idea on their parts because it drasticaly increases their potential for speed and aftermarket support. In fact, the 350Z has some great help from one of the big names in domestic V8 aftermarket accessories....PROCHARGER. Believe it or not but the new Z has found a friend in the good ol' supercharger that us domestic guys are so loyal to.

The RX8 was a large scale disaster under the hood. There is no excuse for Mazda needing to reasearch how to make NA horsepower being part of the Ford umbrella - they just didn't use their resources I guess.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:26 PM
Fast-Ford
Loves Nascar, NHRA & SCCA

Originally posted by yellow civic ex
i wonder why most companies shy away from turbochargers these days...it just doesn't make sense. modern turbochargers are VERY reliable and drastically increase performance.
Turbo is a good way to make more power when you are restricted by space for a bigger engine. However, the old saying that bigger is better is true and there is no hiding from that. I think you may see some more NA 6cyl power on the way to play on that theme. It also increases aftermarket potential by having an engine that isn't already juiced from the factory.

I read recently that Ford engineers put together a modular 10 cylinder engine on a shoestring budget that ran in the 11 sec range in a 2000 GT Mustang. Now that's NA power for you. Wonder what that thing would run on a bottle of nitrus?
Old 12-26-2003, 04:42 PM
ludeboom

Originally posted by Fast-Ford
This is a good idea on their parts because it drasticaly increases their potential for speed and aftermarket support. In fact, the 350Z has some great help from one of the big names in domestic V8 aftermarket accessories....PROCHARGER. Believe it or not but the new Z has found a friend in the good ol' supercharger that us domestic guys are so loyal to.

The RX8 was a large scale disaster under the hood. There is no excuse for Mazda needing to reasearch how to make NA horsepower being part of the Ford umbrella - they just didn't use their resources I guess.
or ford didnt use their resources h:

how does building an NA engine vs building a turbocharged engine, mean there is more aftermarket support and speed for NA?

i take it you are still waging your anti-turbo war

sure on a huge motor with a "screwed" blower (as you call it) there is going to be a lot of horsepower available

like i said b4, a turbo by nature will always develop more horsepower versus a supercharger on the same motor.

a supercharger's maximum efficiency is about 50% (and thats a "perfect" number)
while a turbo operates on average around 70%, (where as 100% would be its "perfect" number)

unfortunately for the supercharger, it uses some of its own energy to power itself, so therefore it is very inefficient compared to a turbo.

its retarded that you think a 9.08 @ 157MPH in a stock chassis car with interior, street tires and a 2.0 liter turbo is a shitty time compared to your "screwed blower".
how much more displacement are these friends of yours using?

~boom
Old 12-27-2003, 10:00 AM
Integrity
Some have it, some don't

Originally posted by Jkan2001
yellowcivic EX is well over 200 whp @ 10 psi in a 2500 pound car, it's plenty to rape a stock 350Z and you know it.
Yeah, I do know it... too bad you're not yellow civic EX. His car actually runs.

Originally posted by yellow civic ex
i do respect that time. you must be a very good driver to pull those times consistently. what was your 60ft time?
I had 2.0-2.2 60' times. Not great, but not bad either.