Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

How bad did your first DIY project go...

Old 04-21-2007, 12:46 AM
BKKloppenborg
Love my Acura

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first DIY was installing my Koni Yellows on my Integra. OH man that was a nightmare. First shock/strut took it out from bottom first and got it stuck, then i finally got it and then after i put all of the Shocks/Springs on i found out that i found out my front of car was higher then the back. I had put the back on lowering and not the front. LOL Had to take the front back off and redo it..

Time: 12+ hours
Old 05-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Civic07
Unique VizionZ

hmmm my first diy to my civic was putting an underglow neon kit on it, It wasnt really that bad I just called up one of my buddies and we put the car up on ramps and starting installing the tubes and then ran the wires and the switch the neon looks good but it took way longer than id hoped about 4 to 5 hours!!!
Old 08-03-2007, 05:21 PM
k_elliot

My first DIY for my 1995 Legend was window tinting. My boyfriend and I decided to make like automotive-DIY-capable people and do the job ourselves. Everything went fine at first, the cutting of the film and the washing of the windows. Disaster struck when the time came to peel the film off the backing and applying it to the glass.. Not only did we forget to wet the windows' surfaces, the film doubled over and stuck together. Haha. We tried to remedy it for an entire day, but ended up getting 'professional' help.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:21 PM
96DX4dr4life

i remeber my first DIY, i wanted to get an ill fiberglass look so i bondo'ed the center console on my 96 civic to get rid of that wrinkley look it has. so i tried to bondo it in and i ended up sanding it for like a month while i drove around with no console. and i didn't get fine enough grit so it looked scratched and i cracked it anyway. looked good the second time through tho.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:32 PM
stanchua

radiator replacement for 90-93 accord!!! dint tighten the nuts, transmission oil was leaking...
Old 12-22-2007, 06:04 PM
SR71BlkBrd86

Hehe... my first couple DIY's were fine, installing amps, speaksers and subs into a 93 3000gt... but when my girlfriend decided to run over a curb knocking out the damn oil pan.... that was a b!tch! Took me 3 days underneath the hood of the damned things cause i didnt want to take apart half the engine... when i was finally able to take the oil pan off, i had to freakin take off the ac compressor and some other engine components... but i finally had it done and took it to a shop just so they could check out my work (it was my first time doing something like this). i learned alot but i sure as hell will never work on her 94 grand am again!!!!!
Old 01-06-2008, 12:24 PM
pow_pow

My first DIY on my TL was replacing the emblems and grill with JDM Honda Inspire badges. It took way longer than it should have, but I didn't consider all the steps. Also, I bought an '03 Inspire grill instead of the '01, so I couldn't use it. Instead, I took out the A badge on the grill, filled the two holes, taped over the middle plastic piece, painted it black, then custom cut Honda emblem and fit it right on the grill. Looks great, and I got the Inspire on the back straight, too. Looks pretty JDM now
Old 01-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Tedmond

not a bad DIY but just not paying enough attention. Working on a car for car audio, taking a 10mm socket and long extension, i was removing the volt to the battery terminal and the socket was so long that it touched the 12v terminal. I popped the main fuse to the fusebox on a honda accord. i think it was a 100amp fuse special order from dealership =D
Old 06-30-2008, 05:11 PM
MadScientistMat

Half excellent and half disaster. It was a 1966 Dodge Dart that I had just got as my first car... in 1996. It needed a lot of work, and being a high school kid with no money that meant doing the work myself for the most part. So my first project was to rebuild its carburetor and give it a tune up.

The carburetor rebuild turned out pretty well. It came out about as well as a decent professional rebuild and a lot better than those junky rebuilt carburetors you can buy in parts stores (not too sure how many guys can relate to that here).

The tune up was the disaster half. I didn't tighten down one of the electrical connections in the distributor and it just plain died on me. Got it home with some help from my dad, found the problem - then made the mistake of dropping a screw into the distributor. Broke the distributor gear when I cranked it over so the timing became kind of random. Ever see a 12" jet of flame spew out your newly rebuilt carburetor?

I still have that car.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:15 AM
scuzz1

My first major DIY on Honda's went great.
I put LS B18B1 changeover in 93 Civic Hatch CX. It went great, but I got lucky and got wrecked 92 hatch from junk yard with the changeover already in it, so it was a matter of just changing bodies.
I really got lucky finding that deal, and it only cost me 260.00 delivered to my house.
What a bargain.