Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

How bad did your first DIY project go...

Old 10-30-2008, 11:41 AM
smartamar11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced the fabric on inned door panels. Drilled a hole through the vinyl :wtc: don't ask. But then after that went pretty smoooth.. I like how they look now at least
Old 01-19-2009, 06:53 PM
nascarfish

Default oh wow...that was fun....

I must start by saying THANK YOU :bowdown: WESTCOAST!!! For that DIY clutch install.
I am more or less a backyard mechanic at best....I do friends oil changes, breaks, coolant etcetc...maintenance stuff. Then the clutch went out on my 96 Acura integra. I am pretty much broke and unemployed, so I couldn't afford to have it done. My girl spotted me the cash (which I paid back already ) for the parts and a chilton book.
Right when we started to loosen bolts the 31mm axle nut was frozen...I mean frozen! We put airtools on it, breakers with 6 ft pipes on it, torch EVERYTHING! 2 days later I ended up cutting with a die grinder, luckily I was very careful and did not harm the axle threads at all....after that all was cool as far as everything coming off easy....if I was able to figure out what to take apart....
To keep a long story short, I was trying to do it with the Chilton Book, but it really was too technical and horrible pictures....so I turned to the Web and started searching for some help....I ran across a couple sites/forums but when i found Westcoasts right up with 58 pics I was like "Hell Yeah, this is what i am looking for, I can do this" With out that I don't know what I would have done.....
I got it done and it runs great now.....one last thanks to Westcoast!
I look forward to checking this forum out and maybe makin some friends....
Old 02-18-2009, 08:00 PM
eg Honda noob
super-noob

my only DIY gone wrong... so far, is the damn instrument cluster needles when installing gauge faces... long story short, I still currently do not have a temp or fuel gauge cause I can't find a cluster cheap at any boneyards in my area... that and no time to do it right now
Old 08-23-2009, 05:09 AM
kenny8585

My DIY was a my friend HOnda civic 2002 fog light was pain in the ass to get the fender out my way to run the wire. I couldn't remove the clip on the side of the fender because it broke and hardly remove it. All that work went through and the light would even want to come on. The worst part was trying install the light on the bumper. I recommend having a dremel with blade to cut it, otherwise you might just spend hrs trying to cut that without a proper tools.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:13 PM
coolfool4242

Default my first DIY was my sterio in my first truck

it was really fun actualy. kinda hard to learn the wiring at first so i got the deck installed where i bought it and i bought 4 jensen speakers to go with it and it was super easy to install and after that i got tho 8 inch subs to put behind my seat, for a two seater truck it slapped lol. not much room to improve really. i had a few problems maybe 4 months after i put the subs in but easy fix. i forgot to cap the wires. fixed that works good now. jus do your research before you DIY.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:55 AM
gotta go
better late than never

because i read directions and i follow directions even better i still haven't been able to go far. My o rings were bad no prob waited on factory replacing electrical connector for the injector not so well is taking the water proof seal out a bad idea if not do i need anything to seal
Old 12-29-2011, 03:44 AM
anasimp00

everything was frustrated in the beginning but it seems that i am getting used to it.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Derek Miller

The only DIY I have managed to do till today is windshield repair.. I got this pre resin from a hardware shop and fixed it.. I havent had much trouble with engine and stuff..
Old 02-25-2012, 12:59 AM
mikehassy

Originally Posted by Gno95
My first DIY ..was uh ..difficult.. I had just bought ma 95 civic ex ...and was waiting for my exhaust. Ordered a V2 AEM intake...my car is an automatic..? any one laughing right now lol...well...i parked the car in the garage....jacked up the car...took the right tire out...slid it underneath the sides ...just incase the car decided to colapse on ma head lol...As i followed the directions..i took out the stock air filter....wires ..etc...my first problem was the coolant...that shit went all over...green hot fluids...my god i must of squeeled like a girl when that crap hit ma skin.. Then as i followed to read the instructions...i got under took all the protective plastic under the bumper..as i looked were to install "the transmission mountin plate" i figured..man..this shit dont fit...i tried taking out my stock one ..but dude a wrench only goes so far lol...so i call my expert buddy..he shows up ..goes..u idiot..this is for MT only...but he says..we might be able to rig it. He pulls out my tran plate n hammers that sucker down a bit..to this day..my Intake is only been held by the rubber cuppler that goes from my intake mani to the intake it self lol...its not screwed to the chasis..or anything lol..

afte that..i done my system.. n stuff..but nothing that requires the car been takin apart engine wize.
Nice
Old 08-15-2012, 02:24 AM
Brandy

Sometimes I don't see my posts. Ony to find out it is on the last page.