Notices

4wd crx

Old 05-15-2003, 12:07 AM
NaticusRex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd crx

Hey guys! I am pretty new here so before any of you ask, yes I am insane. Or at least I try ...anyways, I was reading back thru some threads from last year and I am quite interested in the 4wd wagons. I have a '91 crx hf that I put a blacktop DOHC ZC in, and I want to make it 4wd with the 6-speed.
An obvious question is 'can I do this?' but what I am wondering about more is how strong is the fluid coupling on the rear driveshaft? I read in some of your posts that the rear diff was weak but there was no real mention of the fluid coupling. This brings up the question of whether I would be able to attach a crv rear to the shaft, and would it fit under a crx in the first place, any thoughts?
Now about the tranny: it sounds like most honda trannys (yes I AM new to hondas) can have their internal gears swapped pretty easily, like the si and zc trannys; is this 6-speed the same way? I of course would want to custom gear it:naughty:
I'll have to continue with my curiosities later since its 4am now and I fear of becoming incoherent. Please help me out guys, this car would rock, and if I can build it... well, that would just be insanely sweet. Oh, and I promise to let y'all take the sucker for a test drive when/if I finish it.

Thanks all, can't wait to hear back!
Old 05-15-2003, 04:33 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

no one to date has ever take a crx and swapped in the civic's 4wd platform from the wagon...the 6spd tranny in it is really a 5spd as 1st gear is 4wd low and useless for driving on the road

i don't think anyone has ever tried to mate the 4wd system in the cr-v with the civics old items...

basically you are in uncharted territory
Old 05-15-2003, 09:49 AM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

There is a CRX with the CRV AWD, I've seen pictures of it before, don't remember the name of the site though. Go to Honda-Tech.com and do a search, I think thats where I saw it before.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:47 PM
Habeeb
Banned

that wud be one bad ass crx
keep us posted on the outcome
Old 05-15-2003, 09:11 PM
NaticusRex

thanks, I think I found it http://public.fotki.com/morgie/qsr/crx_gsr_awd_turbo
he used a b18c and the crv tranny & diff, custom gas tank to run the exhaust and driveshaft back. mmmm I can't do the same thing then, cause it wouldn't be original... so does anybody know if the gear sets in the 6-speed tranny can be exchanged for si or zc gears? I know the first in it is a tow/climb gear, I was thinking of keeping that as a novelty, but also it would be really cool to regear the whole thing and have a real 6-speed.
I was also thinking that if I ran out of money before I got the rear set up I could use the driveshaft output as a PTO for a blower or something. A friend of mine is already, of his own accord, designing a under car railgun to be powered by a generator....
So, anyway, do any of you guys know about the internals of the 6speed tranny? is the fluid coupling on the transmission or in the wagon's rear diff? Is abs managed by its own computer or by the ecu? Is the fluid coupling as weak as the civic's rear diff, or can it handle more power?
Its probly a good bet that you all can't answer all my questions, but if y'all know anything or have any further thoughts I would really like to hear from you.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:52 AM
Gasoline Fumes
Automotive Enthusiast

Originally posted by NaticusRex
is the fluid coupling on the transmission or in the wagon's rear diff?
It's on the drive shaft.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:05 PM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

are you the same kid that wrote into honda-tuning mag last issue? somebody did with that exact question and they said some sheit about ... might wnana take a look
Old 05-16-2003, 04:28 PM
NaticusRex

nope James, I don't get that mag. what did they say tho?
yo Fumes, d'you mean the coupling is not part of either the tranny or the diff? This could bring some interesting possibilities......
Is it anything like a torque converter?
hmmm, I saw some pics of the crv rear and I think those axleshafts look kinda spindly, I wonder how many launches they would survive. inside the diff they have pinions on them right, not spline? Tryin to figure out a way to make them nice and beefy.
OOOO!! why does the rear have to be HONDA?? rr, no that doesnt help, everything else sucks too. mm, time to go look around a little.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:17 PM
Gasoline Fumes
Automotive Enthusiast

The viscous coupling has a stack of very closely spaced plates in it. Half of them are connected to the transmission, and the other half to the rear end. They are alternating, so one is connected to the tranny, one to the diff, etc. Normally it's just front wheel drive. But when the front wheels start to slip, the fluid heats up and locks the plates together, transferring power to the rear wheels. Then the fluid will start to cool and power will be gradually removed from the rear wheels.
Old 05-17-2003, 08:28 PM
ichiro
Banned

why would you do that? when its all said and done and all the work is done, you could have bought an AWD car