Notices

1300 and 1500 ?

Old 05-04-2003, 02:04 PM
bigdawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1300 and 1500 ?

hi all! im new here, but i got a question for all the gurus here. my question is, does the 1300 and 1500 share the same block and head? i have a 1986 civic hb with a 1300 carburated engine in it that has no compression what so every, but has a real good body with no rust. i also have a 1986 crx si with a fuel injected 1500 in it that runs awesome, but the body is rotted all over and is falling apart. so, basically my question comes down to, can i take the head and intake off the 1300 and put it on a 1500? anyone that can help me, please reply.

thanks,
bigdawg
Old 05-04-2003, 02:28 PM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i'd swap the whole si drivetrain to the [dx?]. its a timely swap, but you already got step one done: locating all of the necessary parts.

i dont know much about switching heads
Old 05-04-2003, 02:28 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

No you can't. The 1300 has a CVCC head with a port that isn't shared with the straight 12 valve head on the Si. It will bolt on, but the fuel injected manifold will not feed the CVCC port, which will burn that valve and cause you more compression and oil use problems.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:41 PM
crxb16er

id say swap over the whole engine, if one is running fine. might as well peice them together and have at least one good car and one parts car, i wish i would have kept my old crx for miscellanious parts but i had no place for a junked car.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:54 PM
1stGenCRXer
GWAKS- Tech Geekifier

You guys aren't being very smart here. Dealing with 3G civic/1G CRX, only the Si was fuel injected, you can't intermix fuel injected components with carbureted components unless you do like I did and spend a bunch on aftermarket engine stuff.

Not to be mean, but unless you deal with pre-87 stuff, please don't comment and risk accidentally giving bad info. Not everything in this forum is 88-91 year models.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:27 PM
crxb16er

Originally posted by 1stGenCRXer

Not to be mean, but unless you deal with pre-87 stuff, please don't comment and risk accidentally giving bad info. Not everything in this forum is 88-91 year models.
your stage, go for it wasnt thinking of carb'd and fi, but if u have one vehicle with the fi setup cant u swap it over to the other car or would that just be way too much work? i don't know so if that's a stupid question let me know, but i dont see why u couldnt swap over the whole setup????
Old 05-04-2003, 03:42 PM
bigdawg

so, i cant swap engine parts around? ok, well, could i just swap the 1500 si into the spot where the 1300 now resides and will the trannys intermatch or are they different. also i have to go through emission test here in no. ky, would that cause problems with that? also would the wiring be hard to figure out on the si' s harness? i got alot of question, and im sorry for the long post, but i would like to do the swap for as little money as possible.

thanks,
bigdawg
Old 05-04-2003, 03:48 PM
crxb16er

i'm not sure and ill let 1stgener answer that cuz he knows these older car models, if u can swap ur gonna have to move over everything ecu and everything to manage the fi system but you cant make the carb'd engine work with the fi parts at all, i'll wait till he answers to see, he does know what he's talking about though, ill say that for sure.
Old 05-04-2003, 04:01 PM
bigdawg

i just want to swap the blocks, its kinda hard to explain. if i could just put the head off the 1300 on the block of the 1500 that would be cool. i dont want a race car, just a little nice daily driver for now. i prolly end up doing some mods to it later but i just want it to run for now. also is it common for 1300's to just lose compression in all 4 cylinders completely? i have never had a engine that has done this. could there be another reason that there is no compression other than just the rings wore out? are the blocks the same on the 1300 and 1500?
Old 05-04-2003, 04:15 PM
RiceBoysDream

its alot of work swapping from carbed to fi, your goona have to swap over all the fuel lines and probably the gas tank from the si. i think the fuel pump for the carbed models are on the block? alsp the wiring is gonna be a major task all in all its gonna take a long time to swap your si to your dx platform, just save your self the trouble and get another 1300 head or if u have time do the dx to si conversion!