Notices

KYB GR2 or Tokico Blues?

Old 03-19-2009, 06:44 AM
gingas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KYB GR2 or Tokico Blues?

Been doing some research on shocks/springs. I like to get the AGX/Koni's but at this time have to skip that idea.
So I narrowed it down. Which one would you guys buy? :10q:
Old 03-20-2009, 06:11 AM
Tedmond

they are both good shocks. If you go rims with little to no spokes, the tokico look nice, but do you plan on just an OEM feel or do you want to drop it with lowering springs? If you want to drop i would go with the GR2, but if you want better than stock then the blues would be just fine.

i suggest if you plan to drop the car, get adjustable shocks so you can fine tune to your liking.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:13 PM
gingas

Yeah Tedmond, I was going to go with the GR2s because comparing the prices these are cheaper than the blues. This place I found on the web called Racepages have them for $165 all 4. Now as for springs I was looking at the Tein springs for like $165. It shows a 1.5" drop. That's the lowest I'd go bc eibach a little too high .I'm just using some Si wheels w/ 205-50-15. I wouldn't want to reuse my 18 yr old springs.
I want to get rid of the big gap my ride have. My rear I can stick my arm through. I was looking at some of my back issues for EF's & found a few w/ a similiar setup.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Tedmond

i got a few friends that got the same car and from what i remeber, the fronts are fine if you do less than 2inch drop, for the rear, you need a camber kit or just do something called the "washer method" and that will work as well. In this time and day, i would go the washer way, its not the time to spend a crap load of money. Teins are okay, they are IMO overrated springs. I prefer how the megan racing or skunk2 springs ride. They offer better spring rates. hope this helps !
Old 03-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Spec R

every person that i kno who has ran tokico blues has blown them out.

think the opposite for the people i've known who ran GR2's.

there are other factors, but from what i've read, heard, and seen, tokico blue's suck.

i've personally had GR2's and they were fine.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:08 AM
gingas

I kind of figured that with the blues but wanted some xtra opinions. so I would def. go with the GR2s. I will have the washer thing done. I'm not going lower than 1.5. I thought about Tein because that was the only 1 for like $150 & lower up to 1-1.5"
Spec R with your GR2s what springs were you using oem/lowering ?
Old 03-25-2009, 01:57 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Both shocks are good for what they do. The reason why people blow these shocks is because they use them with lowering springs or coilovers that lower more than 2+ inches. The GR2 and Tokico HP Blues are made for OEM or very mild lowering. When you drop the car on lowering springs, the shocks are stressed as you are only allowing the shock to dampen with a very very short stroke, sometimes even riding on the bumpstop itself which leads to pre-mature wear or damage. The GR2 and the blues will work well with Eibach Pro Kit, or Tein H-tech. Anything lower, you'll risk damaging the shock.

If you plan on something 2+ inches, I suggest going with Koni STRT or the Koni Sport. The Koni Sport is adjustable and has extra spring perch height options to lower the car even more. The Koni STRT is more affordable than the Sport and is more agressive than the GR2 and HP blues. HTH
Old 07-20-2009, 02:17 PM
PEDROTTO

Originally Posted by asiandoood
Both shocks are good for what they do. The reason why people blow these shocks is because they use them with lowering springs or coilovers that lower more than 2+ inches. The GR2 and Tokico HP Blues are made for OEM or very mild lowering. When you drop the car on lowering springs, the shocks are stressed as you are only allowing the shock to dampen with a very very short stroke, sometimes even riding on the bumpstop itself which leads to pre-mature wear or damage. The GR2 and the blues will work well with Eibach Pro Kit, or Tein H-tech. Anything lower, you'll risk damaging the shock.

If you plan on something 2+ inches, I suggest going with Koni STRT or the Koni Sport. The Koni Sport is adjustable and has extra spring perch height options to lower the car even more. The Koni STRT is more affordable than the Sport and is more agressive than the GR2 and HP blues. HTH
Hi, im from costa rica and now im using a blue sparco springs, they dont give me the drop i wanted it, my tires are 195-45-15.

i just get a gr-2 the weekend and i want to drop like 1" more, can i use coils-sleeves for this or not?

thnks