Notices

I think i have a starter problem!

Old 06-15-2005, 12:23 PM
shorty_boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think i have a starter problem!

Ohk, now i have not noticed any dragging at all what so ever but as i went to advance auto parts today to get some brake fluid, my car would not start in the parking lot. They tried to boost it, and it didn't work, they checked the altenator (once we push started it) and that faired well also. Now i would have to say it is the starter because when i try to start it, the engine does not turn over at all. so my question would be, how much does a starter cost, and do i have to replace anything else (my car didn't have a manual and i know i need to get one)?
Old 06-15-2005, 02:25 PM
shorty_boy

Default hey my friend hit a car

what is this part called, the one that is dented (where the hood release lever is) and can it be easily obtaned and replaced? it is a 93 dx sedan

Old 06-15-2005, 02:56 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

That's the radiator support. It needs to be cut out and a new one welded in.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:15 PM
shorty_boy

Default ohk,

thanks. about his car, now can ne one tell me about mine.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Tankard

Yes. It sounds like it is possibly the starter if all of your electical connections are good. You can take it out and have it tested before buying another one. I replaced mine a long time ago on my 86 CRX. My 91 CRX still has the original starter. It did'nt drag or anything before quiting. It just all of a sudden did'nt crank one day. I'm thinking it cost close to 300 bucks. Maybe more or less. I just changed the one on my 94 GMC recently. It did drag before it completely quit.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:10 PM
shorty_boy

Default 300?

thanks for the reply. i saw one on autozone's website for 30 dollars but then the recommened items were a starter realay and some othe ish that totaled to about 70. so i guess i don't nee em if they are recommended, but is a good idea to go ahead and get em? Seriously, if i spend over 300 then i might as well get a new engine (unless this starter will fit my future swap).
Old 06-16-2005, 07:52 PM
foot

Was the starter condemed? When you turn the key to the start position do you hear the solenoid "click"? If so it is probably within the starter unit, either the solenoid plunger or the starter motor. If you can hear the solenoid click, continue to hold the key on and have someone tap with moderate force on the starter motor using a pry bar or something. If the starter then begins to operate, replace the starter.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:46 PM
shorty_boy

Default well i replaced it and...

and it is still doing the same thing. i hold the ignition and i get no sound. no solenoifd click no nothing. so what could it be the starter relay!?
Old 06-17-2005, 04:25 PM
shorty_boy

Default After 86 Dollars and 4 hours of frustration...

i fixed my problem. It wasn't the starter at all. in fact it was the damned clutch switches. Those little plastic nuts had broken and i had vaccuumed them up when i cleaned my car last weakend.
The most amazing thing is that i got two steel bolts out of me tool box and put them in those holes and then i was done. she started right up.

Now betsie is fun to drive again as she has gained more pickup and is more responsive. the throttle is nowe more taught and the clutch is alittle more stiff. All due to those daned bolts. WEll really it would be because she isn't throwing and code at me (had egr code for almost a year). I noticed that i have two clutch switches on beatsie and one seems to activate my shiftlight . Could the shift switched have an effect on the egr and if so, why does it nopw say something on the ecu?
Now my 62 hp beast feels like it can own jo0 (only feels like it)
Old 06-17-2005, 06:55 PM
augy

The illusion that you are driving a fast car is all that really matters.