Notices

Front brake conversion

Old 05-26-2004, 07:54 PM
JAMSiR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brake conversion

Ok I have a 1991 Honda Civic Si and I'd like to know what I need to fit the Integra brakes on my car (from a 1993). I presently have the calipers, rotors and pads ( from integra) and I heard that I need EX 4 door knuckles but my dlr said the EX 4 door doesn't exist in Canada and that they would be the same as my Si ones. Can somebody please tell me what other parts I need and what knuckles I need (teg, civic Si, or EX 4 door)!!!! I also would like to know if there are gona be problems with the axles if I swap a B16a because of the different knucles!

Thanks a lot!
Old 05-26-2004, 09:04 PM
Redlinerz

i personally never heard of this before... you might want to do a search and see if there is a write up on it somewhere....i know you can use rear brakes from a teg.. and you can use the maser and brake booster from a teg... but i never heard of someone using the front brakes off a 93... 90 teg front hub ... but not a 93...but once again i dont really know... just do a search... good luck!... actually i think you can do a front brake swap off a 90-91 ex ... anyway good luck
Old 05-26-2004, 09:32 PM
Redlinerz

hey guess what... i did a search on my labtop and found it for you... here is what i had... good luck

You have two factory size options to choose from:
10.2" rotors, Integra calipers
11.1" rotors, Accord calipers

SHOPPING LIST for 10.2" brakes:
(1) pair of 90-91 Civic EX sedan steering knuckles
*Do not substitute 90+ Integra steering knuckles!!
(1) pair of 10.2" rotors from any 92+ Civic or Del Sol with ABS, or 90+ Integra.
(1) pair of brake calipers from any 92+ Civic or Del Sol with ABS, or 90+ Integra.

Note: 92+ ABS cars all have 10.2" front brakes, as well as all 90+ Integra's.
*90+ Integra steering knuckles ARE different from 88-91 Civic/CRX knuckles. Their shape and size will affect all three alignment settings (camber, caster, and toe). The camber will go positive (+), the caster will go negative (-), and the toe will need to be reset since the tie rod end location is in a different place on the Integra units. There are ways of correcting both the camber and caster, but the overall height of the knuckle may cause your upper control arm to hit the underbody on lowered cars.

Additional notes to consider:
- 14" steelies are the smallest wheels that will fit over the 10.2" rotors and calipers in this setup.

- The EX/LX/DX sedan, CRX Si/DX, and Civic Si/DX all share the same size hub. If you are attempting to install this big brake package on a plain Civic (standard)or CRX HF, you will need to change axles or hubs for compatability.

- You may consider upgrading your master cylinder at this time to either a 7/8", 15/16", or 1" unit. To determine what size a given Honda master cylinder is, look at the side facing the right side of the car. For example, an 88-91 Civic hatchback master cylinder will say 13/16. Some master cylinder's will require a new fitting to be installed on the brake line.

Installation of the 10.2" size brakes is a simple bolt on. No modification is necessary.

SHOPPING LIST for 11.1" brakes:

(1) pair of 90-91 Civic EX sedan steering knuckles
*Again, do not substitute 90+ Integra steering knuckles!! See reason above in 10.2" section*
(1) pair 11.1" re-drilled (4x100) 94+ Prelude front rotors
(1) pair Accord Wagon brake calipers (any year, they are all the same)

Additional notes to consider:
- You generally cannot use anything smaller than a 15" wheel after committing to this big brake upgrade. There are some 15" wheels that will fit over the 11.1" brakes.

- The EX/LX/DX sedan, CRX Si/DX, and Civic Si/DX all share the same size hub. If you are attempting to install this big brake package on a plain Civic (standard)or CRX HF, you will need to change axles or hubs for compatability.

- You may consider upgrading your master cylinder at this time to either a 7/8", 15/16", or 1" unit. To determine what size a given Honda master cylinder is, look at the side facing the right side of the car. For example, an 88-91 Civic hatchback master cylinder will say 13/16. Some master cylinder's will require a new
fitting to be installed on the brake line.

Some parts modification is necessary for this setup to work on a Civic/CRX.
Before bolting everything on your car, you need to mill approximatly .115" from the caliper bracket surface where it meets the steering knuckle. This needs to be done so that the caliper is properly offset from the steering knuckle to the Prelude rotor.

The swap is simple from here, just preassemble the rotors and calipers on the steering knuckles and install them on your car.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:33 PM
Redlinerz

i included integra and accord in case anyone else was wondering on how to do this... good luck!!!! by the way i found like 2 more articles i had that are a lil more detailed and specified toward the 93... just pm me and i will email them to you
Old 05-27-2004, 06:09 AM
JAMSiR

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!