Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

how's this setup sound?

Old 08-05-2003, 11:29 PM
4thgen91EFhatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how's this setup sound?

i need you guys opinions on how this setup will sound...i'm going for about 50% bass and 50% sound quality...here's what i'm plannin

(1)JBL BP600.1(sittin in my room now, used for powering my subs)

(2)Planet Audio P10C4 10" Pro's in a ported box tuned to 39 Hz(PA specs)

(2)AudioBahn A2201T 50x2 amp at 4 ohm load(Used to power Mid's and Components)

(1)MA Audio MA55B 5" Mid Bass Woofer
50 w RMS 4ohm 40Hz to 8KHz (Pointed towards front from back on the sides of sub box)

(1)Pioneer TS-C1353 5.25" Component set
50w RMS 4ohm 40Hz to 32,000Hz

(1)Planet Audio EC10 2-way Electronic Crossover
Low Pass 35Hz to 400Hz(Goes to Subs)
High Pass 50Hz to 15KHz (Goes to MA Audio Mids)
6db/Octave

then just some messin around with the crossover to get it just right...now with the crossover can i cut that high pass channel from 15KHz down to about 8KHz since I don't want those high frequencies going to the mid bass subs?...thanks for the help...should i port the box for the mids or make it just sealed?...MA gives specs for both...the components woofers will be in kickpanels and the tweeters will be on the a pillars...you can see pics of what it looks like so far here
Old 08-05-2003, 11:47 PM
97teg

you may want a crossover with a steeper slope. Atleast 12 db/ oct, 24 is probably better. Cross the sub lowpass at about 80 hz and components highpassed above 80 hz as a strating point and adjsut to waht you like. Also ditch the audiobahn, and probably the ma audios. If you want to run mids run a 6 1/2 -7 in each door. Try to keep as much as you can upfront . You will also need a subsonic filter if you tune the subs that high.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:17 AM
4thgen91EFhatch

i really want the ma audios...i heard some of their subs the other day and they were awesome in my opinion...why would i put the mid bass subs in the doors? the doors rattle a whole lot...also why ditch the audiobahn...i'm figuring they should be fine for just puttin out 50 watts per channel and they look awesome in my opinion...what crossover would you recommend that has a steeper slope?...thanks for the help
Old 08-06-2003, 10:57 AM
97teg

Audiobahn is more of a poser brand to me. They are ok but not the greatest stuff. They like to market to the youger croud who likes all the shiney chrome but isn't to particular in the performance or cleaness of the sound. I would look at phoenix gold, zapco, arc, precision power, us amps, even us acoustics (ive herd good things about them but no real experience with them), mayeb soundstream, orion Those brands more quailty and coudl probably find soem good deals on used stuff from ebay. The reason the 5 1/4 should be in the fornt is to keep the music sound like its coming from the from where it should be. If you have them in the back i think it will not be focused up front. It would have to be lowpassed at 80 hz or so to sound like its coming form the front and i don't think 5 1/4 would have much output below 80. Try to move to the 6 1/2 if they have them and use them in the doors. If it rattles use somethign like dynamat on both the sheetmetal of the body inside the door and metal between the door pannel. Even on the inside of the door pannel if nessessary. This will seal the door and keep it form rattling. As for x overs audio control makes good ones, any of the brands i mentioned eariler would be good. Although not all make crossovers i think. Audio control is a very reputable brand.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:28 PM
4thgen91EFhatch

okay...makin some changes

for components i'm gonna go with 6.5" Alpine Type R's($130)]

i'm gonna keep the mid bass MA Audio subs except i'll get 6.5"($73)...i'll point these towards the back just like the 10" Planet Audios will be

now i'm confused on what amp to get though...i need a 75x2 and a 50x2 both at 4 ohm load...i want them to be about the same size because my setup is kinda for looks too and i want there to be a balance between the two...i figure there shouldn't be much of a size difference between the two though...

i'm thinkin i'll go with a U.S. Acoustics USX2050 for the comps and a USX2080 for the mids...i'm still havin trouble with findin the right crossover though...i only need a 2 channel elec. 1 channel for about 35hz to 400hz and the high pass channel for about 50hz to anywhere from 400 to 800hz and a 18 or 24db/octave crossover slope...maybe someone can recommend one?..thanks...maybe i should just go all out and spend 350 on a pioneer deq-9200?..hehe...that would be very nice
Old 08-06-2003, 10:08 PM
rcurley55

you are wasting your time with the MA audio mids...you are simply complicating your life and adding more gear to your car that you simply don't need

It looks to me like you ahve no door panels, so putting speakers in your doors is an absolute waste of time and money....you might as well just run them over with your car!!....you gotta do something to those, get a larger USX amp and those alpine comps will take care of the rest...

Two lines of advice:
1. less is more
2. install is everything
Old 08-06-2003, 10:31 PM
4thgen91EFhatch

the pic in my sig isn't recent...i have door panels now...do you think those mids will just mess up my sound stage or whatever?...i was thinkin about gettin some of the speaker covers that go on my car from the junkyard and then molding fiberglass on them to make a sealed enclosure to put the woofer of the component in and havin it point a little more towards the seat on that side if you see what i'm sayin? think that would work? and alpine says the type r's only take 50rms...think i should put the usx2080 to em so they're gettin 80 watts rms? i need somethin to put the right signals to the sub...what should i do for that? just get some rca inline filters from harrison labs or somethin?..thanks...

what's the difference between the low pass and high pass...does a high pass only let through frequencies above whatever it's rated at?...sorry for all the questions
Old 08-07-2003, 06:12 PM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

Originally posted by 4thgen91EFhatch
i was thinkin about gettin some of the speaker covers that go on my car from the junkyard and then molding fiberglass on them to make a sealed enclosure to put the woofer of the component in and havin it point a little more towards the seat on that side if you see what i'm sayin? think that would work?
expensive/time consuming, depending on who's doing the work, but it can be done.

and alpine says the type r's only take 50rms...think i should put the usx2080 to em so they're gettin 80 watts rms?
severly underpowerd....

i need somethin to put the right signals to the sub...what should i do for that? just get some rca inline filters from harrison labs or somethin?..thanks...
some HU's now have sub controls built-in. My older Pioneer deck had easy to use ones, but the controls on my new Clarion unit are a little spread out, but sounds alot better. I'd suggest either a HU that can control it, or a cross-over.

what's the difference between the low pass and high pass...does a high pass only let through frequencies above whatever it's rated at?
:doh: common sense

high pass cuts off everything BEFORE the number. I think my JL audio amp is set at 120? something like that. I'd suggest having an adjustable cut-off so you can set it just right. Most GOOD amps have these built-in.

low pass cuts off everything AFTER the number. Both of the HU's had the same cut-off frequencies: 50, 80, 120. If I'm listening to rock/classic rock/classical/jazz/etc where I need full range, I usually have it set at 80 or 120, whichever sounds better. Rap/Techno/etc gets set to 50.

also, while I'm at it:

I'd suggest staying away from Pioneer, MA audio, Audiobahn, and all similar crap.

Although they're not everything, study up on the numbers. I used to buy because of brand names, or max power, or because I heard some setup.

Now I'm more inclined to check out the Signal to Noise ratio's, Sensitivity levels, shit like that. Then I go out and listen to them.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:56 PM
4thgen91EFhatch

okay...i'm gonna try to respond to all the things you said...

first off...sorry bout the stupid question about high and low pass...i guess it was pretty obvious..haha...but pioneer says it has a low pass for the low/sub channel

second...my cd player only has 1 rca output so i definitely need to get a crossover...

third...i really like that pioneer electronic crossover with 15band eq cause it's perfect for what i need...kind of...

i was thinking about getting the type R components and then gettin that pioneer crossover which has three channels...the low would go to the sub...i would ditch the passive crossover included with the type r's...then have a 75x2 amp for the mids and a 50x2 for the tweets...and hook those up through the crossover...think that would work better?...should i get a different crossover than the pioneer one?...i think it'd be really cool and i can get the money for it pretty quick..unless you guys just think it's a total waste

fiberglass...i will be doing the work myself...i've worked with it before and know how...i think i'm gonna try the mids in the doors with the fiberglass enclosures and do some dynamat and stuff in the door...

thanks for the replies and help and stuff...see ya
Old 08-07-2003, 08:15 PM
rcurley55

don't try to make enclosures for your door speakers, just seal the doors properly, get a good baffle and call it a day. Car audio speakers are designed for off axis response, so while aiming them will be cool and everything.....it's a lot of work for not a lot of benefit IMO

If you can, find an amp that has a pass through on the signal. So you can run the one preout to the "high" amp and then have it pass through to the low pass amp. That's one option and will take a crossover out of the signal chain....

BTW, all the best amps have no crossovers in them...not the other way around.