Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

One Quick Question....

Old 05-13-2003, 08:59 AM
DJ Scotty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EDIT:

Keep it on topic and friendly people!!!

Thanks,

rcurley55
Old 05-13-2003, 03:40 PM
Randy12vp

oops bad choice of wording on my part.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:11 AM
DJ Scotty

Originally posted by Randy12vp
I think if you went with the 12" subs rather than the 15" subs you may be able to achieve the results you are going after. I would also go woth a ported enclosure for your scenario over a sealed enclosure. I would go with the 12s because you'll be applying the same power to a smaller cone so you may be able to achieve more output in terms of efficiency. Then with the ported enclosure, if designed correctly, you should be a bit louder as compared to a sealed enclosure if that is your goal.
Randy,

While I prepare to be pro active (per the veterans suggesting such in here) and make some physical changes to my system this upcoming weekend hopefully, can I ask you some things regarding your above suggestions? Its funny you mention dropping down to 12s to achieve the goal Im looking towards; my installer who put all this in suggested dropping back to 12s as well, saying the 15s just wont give me the hit Im looking for...this originally made no sense to me, thinking what can hit better than a 15, but now that you explained the fact that I can use the same power from my Fosgate 800.2 in bridged mode to send juice to a better pair of 12s than my XLC's, it may make sense that the system would hit harder...especially if I switch over to a ported enclosure...

Do you know of any company that makes good off-the-shelf, pre-fabbed ported systems ready to install? I know Kicker used to make their SS boxes, ready to simply drop in, but they dont make prefabbed boxes anymore---actually, they do, and Crutchfield sells them, but there's only one sub in each box, and I want to do at least two 12s....
Old 05-20-2003, 06:07 PM
daddykay24

wow. issuses
Old 05-21-2003, 02:15 AM
Randy12vp

I really wouldn't suggest any "off the shelf " ported enclosures. I have found through my experiences that you gain more by fabricating your own or having a professional do the work for you.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:00 PM
97teg

If you are going to a ported or bandpass box it really needs to be designed for you particular speaker and what you want ie where you want it to hit at. A bandpass will make your speakers REALLY efficient however it tends to be at one freq and usally doens't sound the best. You can also blow your speakers easily if not properly set up. same thing with ported. Both ported and bp are sesitive to volume chagnes so make sure you accurate if you are going to build a box. I think twice the cone area = 3 db's with the same power.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:11 PM
DJ Scotty

Originally posted by daddykay24
wow. issuses
Is that all you can contribute?
Old 05-21-2003, 12:32 PM
DJ Scotty

Originally posted by 97teg
If you are going to a ported or bandpass box it really needs to be designed for you particular speaker and what you want ie where you want it to hit at. A bandpass will make your speakers REALLY efficient however it tends to be at one freq and usally doens't sound the best. You can also blow your speakers easily if not properly set up. same thing with ported. Both ported and bp are sesitive to volume chagnes so make sure you accurate if you are going to build a box. I think twice the cone area = 3 db's with the same power.
Hey Teg,

Thanks for the reply man...I have heard exactly what you are talkin' 'bout with bandpass and ported boxes----that the resonation from these things are so intense, subs can be blown one two three if too much power is fed and volume is not watched closely; do you think, though, that for what I am achieving----to be able to hear the bass frequencies from outside the vehicle and down a block---switching from my sealed enclosure with the XLC 15's to a ported or bandpass enclosure with different branded drivers and/or sizes will make a difference? I still wont drive with my back seat down, and the box will STILL be trapped in the trunk of my Accord...will switching to a ported/bandpass design give more SPL OUTSIDE of the vehicle (as SiClone suggested) as compared to the sealed setup I have in there now?
Old 05-21-2003, 02:26 PM
daddykay24

Originally posted by DJ Scotty
Is that all you can contribute?
If I did you wouldn't make use of it. You would just turn around and ask the same question that you have asked for the past 6 months .
Old 05-21-2003, 03:20 PM
rcurley55

Now, now children - play nicely