Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

02 Accord FM Modulator for IPod- antenna input

Old 07-29-2008, 03:51 PM
rekeen01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Accord FM Modulator for IPod- antenna input

Hello,

I just purchased a FM Modulator for my IPOD since my 2002 Honda Accord EX, which does not have any aux ports in the back (6-disk cd changer).

Before I rip open the head unit. I needed to know if the antenna input plug is behind the head unit? I know some cars have it in the glove box or even in the trunk. I have to unplug it, and insert the new wire attached to the modulator. If anyone doesn't know, could they lead me into the direction of some sort of radio electrical diagram.

Any help would be great!

Thanks everyone!

Mike

Last edited by rekeen01; 07-29-2008 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Travis@DICE
Banned

Originally Posted by rekeen01
Hello,

I just purchased a FM Modulator for my IPOD since my 2002 Honda Accord EX, which does not have any aux ports in the back (6-disk cd changer).

Before I rip open the head unit. I needed to know if the antenna input plug is behind the head unit? I know some cars have it in the glove box or even in the trunk. I have to unplug it, and insert the new wire attached to the modulator. If anyone doesn't know, could they lead me into the direction of some sort of radio electrical diagram.

Any help would be great!

Thanks everyone!

Mike
Mike,

You can get the antenna wire right behind the radio. Sounds like you did get the hardwired FM Modurlator. That will give you some better sound out of your iPod as well. Install should take maybe 30 to 45 min on average. Make sure you do get an iPod to RCA cable as well so that way you can keep the iPod charged and you are pulling the audio off the dock plug instead of the headphone.

When you use the headphone jack you may run into some volume interferance from the iPod and the radio.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:20 AM
rekeen01

Hi Travis,

Thank you so much for the info and yes, I already got the ipod to RCA

I do have two other questions. I understand about the black wires (ground) and how I have to get a screw and screw them in somewhere to metal.

But, I also have two red wires (DC 12 v), one on the modulator and one on the IPOD to RCA. I have no idea what to do with these two wires. A fuse is connected to these two wires.

One more dumb question. I also have the wire which is the switch to turn on and off the modulator itself. I noticed on the back of it, there is a metal clip as if I have to plug it in somewhere. If I just want to lay it down in the center console, will that work?

Thanks again for telling that the antenna input plug is behind the radio!
Old 07-30-2008, 09:43 AM
Travis@DICE
Banned

Originally Posted by rekeen01
Hi Travis,

Thank you so much for the info and yes, I already got the ipod to RCA

I do have two other questions. I understand about the black wires (ground) and how I have to get a screw and screw them in somewhere to metal.

But, I also have two red wires (DC 12 v), one on the modulator and one on the IPOD to RCA. I have no idea what to do with these two wires. A fuse is connected to these two wires.

One more dumb question. I also have the wire which is the switch to turn on and off the modulator itself. I noticed on the back of it, there is a metal clip as if I have to plug it in somewhere. If I just want to lay it down in the center console, will that work?

Thanks again for telling that the antenna input plug is behind the radio!

Mike,

The black wires for the FM Mod and the iPod cable you can connect them to the black wire in the radio harness. That should be ground.

The red wires connect them to the WHITE/RED wire in the radio harness. That should be the Accesory wire. Make sure to use a test light or a voltmeter to test the wires before connecting anything to them. I am going off of a wireing diagram that I have.

As for the switch I try to always find a place to hide it but make it to where you can reach it for when you are wanting to use your iPod or go back to the regular radio.

As for the metal clip I am not sure what you are meaning. What brand of FM Mod did you get?

I always install that back inside the dash behind the radio and just run the cable for the iPod out maybe down and along the center console tucking the wire as much as you can and then have the cable come up by the driver's seat so you can control the iPod. When you are not useing your iPod you can always tuck the cable down so you don't see it and it keeps everything looking clean in the car.

Let me know if you have any other questions
Old 08-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Tedmond

Looks like you got 4 wires.
1) 12v (+) to turn on modulator.
2) two 12v supply for modulator and to charge ipod
3) two ground black cable

Ground - Black @ radio harness
Accessory - White/Red @ radio harness
Constant 12v - White/Green @ radio harness

btw, the fm modulators are often 35 - 50 dollars depending on retailer/shop. you can get blitz aux adapters for 30+ taxes. shops jack up prices to 100+ but really they are only 30 sumthing cost price.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Travis@DICE
Banned

Originally Posted by Tedmond
Looks like you got 4 wires.
1) 12v (+) to turn on modulator.
2) two 12v supply for modulator and to charge ipod
3) two ground black cable

Ground - Black @ radio harness
Accessory - White/Red @ radio harness
Constant 12v - White/Green @ radio harness

btw, the fm modulators are often 35 - 50 dollars depending on retailer/shop. you can get blitz aux adapters for 30+ taxes. shops jack up prices to 100+ but really they are only 30 sumthing cost price.

Yes you can get some of the cheaper wireless fm modulators very cheap around 30-40 bucks. But you will get what you paid for there. Good hardwired fm modulators are about 50-80 bucks. There are some differances on them make sure to look at how many stations you can tune into and also if it has a noise filter built into it.

Blitz does make what they call the aux adaptor what it is is an iPod cable that comes off the box with a power and ground wires, and then they give you and RCA cable output. The only issue is that there is nothing on a stock radio to plub them into. You will still need some kind of audio input to use to get the audio into the radio. The blitz adaptor isn't 30 bucks. That piece still does go for about 80 bucks but it is more for an aftermarket radio that doesn't have an iPod adaptor.