Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

monster cable broke off, please help a noob

Old 01-29-2007, 06:39 PM
rcurley55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take a pic of the whole thing

a/d/s/ amps tend to have internal signal routing, so your two "good" channels could easily drive all channels.

Rca cables are very simple - the barrel of the connector carries the "ground" and the pin carries the "signal"

Typically they are disasembled by just unscrewing the barrel. Then solder the wires back in and you are good to go.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:57 PM
oholdeno

i'm thinking of buying some monster cables for cheap on ebay and then doing some frankenstein fix where i cut and strip these cables and connect them to the broken end that is running through my car. anyway not having a stereo is so stressful i hope it never gets stolen haha.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:22 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Originally Posted by rcurley55
ummmm, just resolder the source and ground wires to the connector - not rocket science, guys!

There's zero need to recommend removing the entire cable, retracing it, removing half the interior or anything else, unless you like wasting this guy's time and money

btw what is the model number on that a/d/s/ amp? There are a few ways to set it up to avoid replacing the wire, but it would cause you to lose your fading capability.
The reason I didn't suggest resoldering is because I doubt he'll be able to accomplish that. He didn't know what he was even looking at, let alone having to unscrew it and resolder the contactsh:

Plus, removing the small amount of interior needed to do this job in a 98 Accord is cake.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:24 AM
InfoAudio01

wire too short to resolder to the rca plug?

go to a local retail shop like circuit city, best buy, or even a local shop and ask them if they have a cheap pair of rca's lying around somewhere that they could give you.

then cut the length that will be needed and splice the outer shield(ground) of your new rca to the outer shield of the wire in the vehicle, and vice versa with the inner wire(signal). tape separately with electrical tape and make sure the two wires will not come into contact.

the new splice won't be visually appealing but it will work if your wire won't reach your amp!

if your worried about cosmetics, then get a new pair of rca's and run them from the source unit to the amp.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:45 PM
doobiexx928xx
B18 Bullet

Just buy a new set of RCA cable.