Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

monster cable broke off, please help a noob

Old 01-28-2007, 06:16 PM
oholdeno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default monster cable broke off, please help a noob

so this is what it looks like. SUCKS. it got ripped off when i pulled down one of the halves of the back seat on my 98 accord. i bought this car with the stereo system so i have no idea where these wire lead to. i figured out that while this is broken one of the speakers in the rear is out.

please help! not sure how to trace these wires all the way back to where they come from. i was able to pull the seat off but i'm still not certain as to what that might accomplish. any way to just repair the end of the cable?
Old 01-29-2007, 06:25 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

That's an RCA cable, it's feeding a 4 channel amp in this case. You're going to have to completely remove the broken RCA cable and replace it with a new one. It's pointless to try and fix it. It leads all the way up to the back of your headunit.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:15 AM
oholdeno

do you have any idea if i'll have much trouble tracing the wire back to the head unit? i just don't have any clue as to how the wire would go from my trunk to the front console of my car.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:22 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Originally Posted by oholdeno
do you have any idea if i'll have much trouble tracing the wire back to the head unit? i just don't have any clue as to how the wire would go from my trunk to the front console of my car.
it could go any way actually.

best bet is to:
remove the front seats (DO NOT PUT YOUR KEY IN THE IGNITION WITH THE FRONT SEATS REMOVED)
remove the back seat
and feel along the carpet.

Also, make sure the RCA isn't run along the same side as the 12V source.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:58 PM
rcurley55

ummmm, just resolder the source and ground wires to the connector - not rocket science, guys!

There's zero need to recommend removing the entire cable, retracing it, removing half the interior or anything else, unless you like wasting this guy's time and money

btw what is the model number on that a/d/s/ amp? There are a few ways to set it up to avoid replacing the wire, but it would cause you to lose your fading capability.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:04 PM
oholdeno

oh god i just tried stripping the wire and now it's coming up way too short
Old 01-29-2007, 06:05 PM
oholdeno

also it looks like the wires go into the right side of the car where the cupholder is
Old 01-29-2007, 06:07 PM
oholdeno

one more thing, i unplugged the bottom two wires in the picture and i am still getting sound from all speakers including the tweeters. what are those two wires for?? can i just leave it unplugged?
Old 01-29-2007, 06:21 PM
rcurley55

Originally Posted by oholdeno
one more thing, i unplugged the bottom two wires in the picture and i am still getting sound from all speakers including the tweeters. what are those two wires for?? can i just leave it unplugged?
depends on the amplifier model...
Old 01-29-2007, 06:35 PM
oholdeno

it's like an 8 year old amp and all i can see on it is '20th anniversary edition' so i'm not sure where the model number is. i notice that when i fade the stereo all the way to the back there is no sound with the two wires unplugged.

BUT i think i'm getting somewhere! i was able to strip the wire and hold it against the connector and get full sound. will soldering hold it in place?? i hope i can do this because i really don't want to strip the interior of my car.

also i see that inside the rca cable is black and red copper wires. the red copper wire seems to induce the sound, but i'm not sure where the black one is connected to. any help?