Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Remote wire issues...I think?

Old 11-06-2006, 01:33 AM
dave97LX
is a guitar hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote wire issues...I think?

First of all, I haven't posted here in a good year or more, so, um...hey HAN, how you doin?

My system's not too complex: Alpine 9815 HU, Alpine 4-channel amp powering Infinity fronts and rears with speaker wiring directly from the amp, and 1 10" JL sealed sub powered by an Alpine mono amp. The remote wires from each amp are connected in the trunk, and the long remote wire runs from there to the HU, up the right passenger side of my car and under the carpet where my passengers' feet usually rest.

Ever since I installed it, occasionally, maybe once a month or so, someone will stretch out their feet (remember, wiring through footwell, under carpet) and my system will go quiet (HU stays on). I'd resolve the issue by berating the passenger, then turning the HU off/on, and then music would start again. I checked the remote wire, and couldn't see any spot where it would be getting pulled taut or cut off. No big deal.

It hadn't done it for a LONG time (maybe a couple times since I installed my sub last October) until this week. My friend stopped the music with his feet again, except the difference was I could hear the sub still playing. Turning the HU off/on didn't resolve it (still nothing but sub) and I checked the wires again...nothing. I then figured out that restarting the car made the 4-channel amp kick back on again. Then, that stopped working. I thought it was completely screwed up until I randomly started the car and heard music today. So, I checked the wires, and I didn't notice anything that looked bad or disconnected.

Possible problems? Thanks...
Old 11-06-2006, 04:25 AM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try disconnecting the remote wire from the amps... and jump the power and remote on the amp. now the amps will be on all the time.

have your friend do whatever he does to cut the music. if it stays on, then theres a break in your existing remote wire. if it still cuts, then i dont know h:
Old 11-06-2006, 03:51 PM
burnrubber
Nucking Futs

if it still cuts, check speaker wires to door speakers
Old 11-06-2006, 11:58 PM
orbit77

i would suggest using a multi meter to test your remote wire for continuity and power. also to use a 9v battery and pop your speakers by the amp. does it lose power or does it go into protect mode? could possibly be a bad speaker maybe
Old 11-07-2006, 01:21 AM
dleccord

turn the defeat on and then turn it back off. common problem for the 9830/9831. not sure if it's common for your deck, which btw is a nice deck
Old 11-10-2006, 02:15 PM
dave97LX
is a guitar hero

Originally Posted by dleccord
turn the defeat on and then turn it back off. common problem for the 9830/9831. not sure if it's common for your deck, which btw is a nice deck
Thanks, I did not know that...that's the most immediate thing I can try since I lack a set of tools at the moment.

The problem transformed since my last post, however. My 4-channel hasn't put out sound in the last three days at all, and I kept an eye on it while turning my radio on and off. The sub amp turns on, no problem, and I reinforced the remote wire connection (which is just the 2 leads from each amp crimped together with the 15' wire). All other connections appear to be solid at the amp.

Now, the 4-channel's LED lights up upon turning the radio on, but then dims gradually and completely after a few seconds. There isn't a pop or any sound, really, but it does light up each time (so I'm guessing it isn't the remote wire). Should I check its fuse next?
Old 11-10-2006, 07:41 PM
burnrubber
Nucking Futs

if it's a fuse, it shouldn't even turn on
Old 11-11-2006, 03:59 PM
dleccord

You can run a new remote wire from the back of your deck straight to the amp(without having to hide it) to see it the problem still persist. Make sure the connection is tight at both ends.

I haven't read your other post, but how did you hook up your amp? What kind of wires? Did you give it good ground? Are the wires big enough? If you have a friend who already has an amp in his car, maybe swap amps to see if it is bad or not. Keep us posted
Old 11-11-2006, 06:05 PM
dave97LX
is a guitar hero

Here's the wiring specifics for both amps:

- 8ga power from mono (350W rms) amp --> battery
- 8ga power from 4channel (220W total rms) amp --> battery
- 2 8ga ground wires from each amp --> same ground point
- 2 remote wires from each amp --(crimp connector'd)--> remote wire to deck

The only reason I have two separate 8ga power wires instead of a 4ga/distro-block setup is because I added the sub about a year and a half later, and I went with the quickest/easiest install method by running another 8ga wire to the battery for the sub amp.

The amp is the alpine mrv-f340, in case that matters. The LED brightens, then immediately dims every time.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:40 PM
dleccord

i use to have the very same amp. are you sure the blue light dims and does not turn red? does it get hot when it dims?