View Single Post
Old 11-06-2006, 01:33 AM
dave97LX
is a guitar hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote wire issues...I think?

First of all, I haven't posted here in a good year or more, so, um...hey HAN, how you doin?

My system's not too complex: Alpine 9815 HU, Alpine 4-channel amp powering Infinity fronts and rears with speaker wiring directly from the amp, and 1 10" JL sealed sub powered by an Alpine mono amp. The remote wires from each amp are connected in the trunk, and the long remote wire runs from there to the HU, up the right passenger side of my car and under the carpet where my passengers' feet usually rest.

Ever since I installed it, occasionally, maybe once a month or so, someone will stretch out their feet (remember, wiring through footwell, under carpet) and my system will go quiet (HU stays on). I'd resolve the issue by berating the passenger, then turning the HU off/on, and then music would start again. I checked the remote wire, and couldn't see any spot where it would be getting pulled taut or cut off. No big deal.

It hadn't done it for a LONG time (maybe a couple times since I installed my sub last October) until this week. My friend stopped the music with his feet again, except the difference was I could hear the sub still playing. Turning the HU off/on didn't resolve it (still nothing but sub) and I checked the wires again...nothing. I then figured out that restarting the car made the 4-channel amp kick back on again. Then, that stopped working. I thought it was completely screwed up until I randomly started the car and heard music today. So, I checked the wires, and I didn't notice anything that looked bad or disconnected.

Possible problems? Thanks...