Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Symetry?

Old 09-29-2002, 02:36 PM
seth90dx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Symetry?

One of my frends USED to be into car audio hardcore! He has all this tight ****! Im looking through all his stuff, he has all these old 18 inch rockford fosgates rockford amps and all kinds of rockford stuff. As Im lookin around I see a digital EQ! I pick it up and look at it, its a rockford fosgate and it says SYMETRY on it... Im like you wana sell this dude? He is broke so he says HELL YA! I think to my self (I wonder how much this is worth?) keep in mind all this stuff is like 3-5 years old. He says he will sell it to me for $200. Is that a good deal? he told me it cost $700 when he bought it! What kind of sound quality should i expect if I buy this thing? whats your opinion?
Old 09-29-2002, 04:20 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

yeah, they were like $700 new... but any piece of equalizing equipment is worthless unless its tuned properly... and the Symetry is rather difficult to use. To me there is too much to it... its a lot easier to get something with manual controls... but with the Symetry you can be sitting in the driver seat and adjust the settings.

$200 sounds like an ok deal... see if he'll take $150 or $175 just to save a few bucks!

If you want it, its a good tool to have, just have someone 'teach' you how to use it and tune it properly.
Old 09-29-2002, 05:36 PM
seth90dx

Thanks! I got a 5 year warinty on ALL my stuff so it wont matter if I blow a sub or some mids toying with it!
Old 09-29-2002, 06:39 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

becareful... some companies dont warranty "blown" stuff... thats usually considered "abuse" and they dont take them back.

I just meant to have a pro tune it to get it to sound good... they can be hard to work with...
Old 09-29-2002, 09:28 PM
seth90dx

Oh ok! But I got my stuff frome good guys I took the old W3's in to get the W3V2's the old ones were brand spankin new, and still in the boxes! the dude just took a electrical cord pluged it into the wall and connectid it to the speakers! LMAO!!! Ever seen a subwoofer excurt like a half foot? Any way then he kicked down the new ones! cost me $60 for the renewal of the 5 year warinty!:fawk:
Old 09-29-2002, 10:05 PM
seth90dx

my neaghbor has a DIGITAL AUDIO DUAL 12" BANDPASSS ENCLOSURE it has two ports per speaker... Will my JL W3V2-D4's work cool in there? I know they need 1.75 each for a ported box, but I know jack sh1t about bandpass boxes pluss these have dual ports Can you give me some info on how this will sound?
Old 09-30-2002, 08:02 AM
rcurley55

Number 1: Don't stick your subs in a pre manufactured bandpass box unless it's either custom made, or was made by JL. It will sound like sh!t

Number 2: That symmetry is not reallly the best piece on the market. It may be fun to play with a $200, but there are some downfalls. You first need to find out if it's the Symmetry or the Symmetry 2, they are slightly different. There are a few problems iwth the symmetry 2 that I know of:

1. They tend to develop a bit of hiss to them and must be sent back to RF for a fix. This affects some units

2. The crossover locations are not continuously variable. They are very limited in fact, and may cause you some problems.

3. The crossover slopes are fixed at -12 dB/octave. For a high end processor, that's pretty shallow. I'd like to see at least the ability for 24, or 36 dB's.

Also, you need to find out what EQ card in in there. It has two add on cards that you needed to purchase separately in order to make it an EQ. There was a 14 and 28 band card...they are still over $100-200 used on ebay.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:39 PM
seth90dx

It will sound like sh1t you say?
Old 09-30-2002, 02:47 PM
rcurley55

Originally posted by seth90dx
It will sound like sh1t you say?
I didn't say it would sound like sh!t. My point is that the unit isn't for everyone (it certainly wasn't for me) and it had some inherent flaws.

If you get it for 200 with the 28 band, and it's the newer version....get it, if it has the 14 band card that's pretty good....no card, and I would pass all together.

For the price you are getting a good piece, it just isn't/wasn't for me. I wanted to warn you of some of the shortcomings in the designs. Get the manual and specs for it, and make sure it suits your needs before you spend your money. Thats all I'm really trying to tell you.

I looked at one really hard, and actually bid on a few on Ebay. After doing a TON of reseach, I decided I didn't want it. I ended up with 3 IDQ-31s (31 band mono EQs) and an IDX-24 (3 way active crossover) The piece may work for you though.
Old 09-30-2002, 03:11 PM
seth90dx

Originally posted by rcurley55
Number 1: Don't stick your subs in a pre manufactured bandpass box unless it's either custom made, or was made by JL. It will sound like sh!t