Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

removing fenders to access door wiring

Old 09-07-2005, 01:33 PM
themightychris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing fenders to access door wiring

Hey i've read a lot of threads on these forums about running speaker wire to the front doors and have decided to go the way of removing the fenders and drilling through the molex.

One of the dudes that did it though said he broke a lot of those damn plastic connectors doing it (which i've learned about on my own from pulling apart interior panels...) because a lot of shit has to be removed to get them off. I have the service manual for my car (99 civic) which details all the stepd and fastener locations for interior paneling but it has no such information for the fenders.

Could anyone provide me with a step-by-step to getting at all it's connection points so I don't break anything trying to figure it out myself?
Old 09-07-2005, 03:10 PM
2legit2quit
You Big Dummy

I wouldn't take fenders off just to run wire through to the door speakers. All you need is a wire snake. (or something similar ex.coat hanger) Just take your time. It's a lot easier that removing your fenders and you still gotta pull the wires through the grommets.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:28 PM
themightychris

with my car ( 99 civic ) it is not a matter of snaking the wire through the grommets. One end of the bundle in the door jam is a molex connector that has to be drilled through. It's either do that or drill my own hole through the metal on each side. I've already thoroughly searched through and read many topics on this in this forum and others. (And yes i'm aware of the just-use-the-shitty-stock-wiring option) Either way i need to remove the fenders to get at them, and i know it's a bit of work, but I am looking for any information on the procedures for removing them so i don't have to go tugging and prying and stuff on my own and break something :P
Old 09-07-2005, 11:26 PM
Ludemandan
Prelude tracktion

How tough is this molex? Before you go removing fenders, try this: Go in from the footwell with a long sharp piece of metal and try to pierce it that way. I'm sure there has to be a way.

Dan
Old 09-08-2005, 09:46 AM
themightychris

I tried this before i knew that it was. Molex is a solid plastic connecter. There is no poking through.

Previous threads on running wire:
https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=71757
https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=157584

there are more here and on other forums too, all come to the conclusion of 3 bacis options, drill new holes in metal, drill through unused space in connector, and stick with stock. All also say that removing the fenders makes it MUCH easier to work as both sides of the connection are fully accessible. I've already tried doing it without, and it is impossibly difficult to get anything done through the inch of space going through the door hinge