Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Cutting into dash.

Old 06-06-2005, 04:57 PM
a_integra_87
Traction, WTF is that?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting into dash.

Ok, well i got my 7.2 in "wide screen" for my car. I got the monitor REALLY cheap from a friend. But now i have a problem where to mount it. In the teggies there is like no room at all and i want it perminant. So the only place we could come up with is right in the dash, in front of the passenger air bag. I pulled the glove box and know i wont cut anything i shouldnt when installing it. But to be on the safe side i went to my local audio place. The one said they would install for about $120 min to about $180 max. Thats just cutting the hole and sticking it in. No wiring nothing. The other said they wouldnt even touch it without re-covering the dash.

Now my problem here is i got the tv cause it was cheap. THink i should really go ahead and spend the $180+ for install? I was thinking today and made a templet. Im still debating if i want to hack away at it. I know if i mess up my dash im in deep shit. But i think as long as i make a templet and cut it smaller than it should be the first time and gradually make it larger i should be good.

I dont know if you guys can picture this. But in the passenger seat, looking at the dash the open space. Right below the airbag is where i want it mounted. Only problem is it is curved, and the tv is pretty much as big or 1/8 inch bigger on top and bottom. It will fit, but needs to be cut.

My last question is if i actually do it, what should i use to cut it out with? i prefer hand tools, not air-powered ones, since #1 i dont have a compressor, and #2 i feel i could have more control. I think a drill with a 1" bit, to drill a hole, then one of those little saws, cant think of the real name ...then just dremel the sides clean.

What would you do attempt it or take it to the pros?
Old 06-06-2005, 04:59 PM
musicfrisk

call me old fashioned, it doesn't belong anywhere in the car for safety reasons...
Old 06-06-2005, 05:05 PM
a_integra_87
Traction, WTF is that?

I know, thats why im not installing a tv in my view really. Sure i can see it if i turn my head, but its not in front of me.

Anyway....
Old 06-06-2005, 05:08 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Moved to Audio & Security.

The fabrication work involved with installing a video screen into a dashboard is common across all makes of vehicles.
---

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 06-06-2005, 05:20 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by a_integra_87
I know, thats why im not installing a tv in my view really. Sure i can see it if i turn my head, but its not in front of me.

Anyway....
I don't mean to piss in your wheaties, but the lawmen and legislators are coming down on in-car video installations. In CA, if the screen is in any way visible from the driver's seat, the video screen must be off while the car is in motion.

From a technical standpoint, it's going to be difficult to mount the screen in a manner that allows the passenger side airbag to function correctly.

If you're serious about doing this in a clean, professional way... I would I'd remove the passenger side airbag and hinge the dashboard coverpanel. Then, install the monitor on a hinged armature that allows it to tilt back into the top of the dash, using the stock airbag cover panel to conceal it.

While you'd be breaking the law by removing the airbag, you're far less likely to be cited for that offense.
And the end result will look much, much cleaner.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 06-06-2005, 05:55 PM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

mount it in a sunvisor :dunno:

this is why I got a flip-down screen.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:12 AM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

If you can adjust the screen mount it above the center airvents. On my car that would be a good spot. I'm not sure what year you have though. I have a 94.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:35 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by 18secFerio
mount it in a sunvisor :dunno:

this is why I got a flip-down screen.
For a 7" screen? :thinking:
Probably too deep. h:

Old 06-07-2005, 03:22 PM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

If you take a picture of your dash as well as the specs of your screen we could take a look and find a way to mount it. Does the screen flip down or rotate at all?
Old 06-07-2005, 03:41 PM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave™
For a 7" screen? :thinking:
Probably too deep. h:
:reechy: :werd:

well, here's the easy answer:

if you know what you're doing, by all means go for it. remember, practice makes perfect. go to the junkyard or something, try cutting in a similar peice of plastic, get the feel of the tools you're using, get an idea of the size of hole you need. A while back I had to install some components, and instead of the standard system, they were metric (165mm doesn't equal 6.5"). I ended up cutting holes in my front door panels to accomodate the tweeter and woofer for them. I practiced on an old interior peice.

if you don't know what you're doing, suck it up and pay the bastards to do it for you. look at it this way, you saved money on the screen.