View Single Post
Old 06-06-2005, 04:57 PM
a_integra_87
Traction, WTF is that?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting into dash.

Ok, well i got my 7.2 in "wide screen" for my car. I got the monitor REALLY cheap from a friend. But now i have a problem where to mount it. In the teggies there is like no room at all and i want it perminant. So the only place we could come up with is right in the dash, in front of the passenger air bag. I pulled the glove box and know i wont cut anything i shouldnt when installing it. But to be on the safe side i went to my local audio place. The one said they would install for about $120 min to about $180 max. Thats just cutting the hole and sticking it in. No wiring nothing. The other said they wouldnt even touch it without re-covering the dash.

Now my problem here is i got the tv cause it was cheap. THink i should really go ahead and spend the $180+ for install? I was thinking today and made a templet. Im still debating if i want to hack away at it. I know if i mess up my dash im in deep shit. But i think as long as i make a templet and cut it smaller than it should be the first time and gradually make it larger i should be good.

I dont know if you guys can picture this. But in the passenger seat, looking at the dash the open space. Right below the airbag is where i want it mounted. Only problem is it is curved, and the tv is pretty much as big or 1/8 inch bigger on top and bottom. It will fit, but needs to be cut.

My last question is if i actually do it, what should i use to cut it out with? i prefer hand tools, not air-powered ones, since #1 i dont have a compressor, and #2 i feel i could have more control. I think a drill with a 1" bit, to drill a hole, then one of those little saws, cant think of the real name ...then just dremel the sides clean.

What would you do attempt it or take it to the pros?