Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Airbag Light

Old 08-17-2002, 11:15 AM
MokeyJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag Light

A couple of weeks ago the airbag light came on and stayed on in my wife's 1997 Accord EX Wagon w/75K miles.

She had the timing belt changed today (trusted independent shop - not the dealer) and they looked into the airbag light. We picked the car up late and didn't get to speak with anyone at the shop. The invoice and keys were in the car (it's NH, not NJ) and the invoice said:

Diagnose SRS Light, Code 8-5, Internal Failure of SRS Control Unit.

Estimate $652.30 to replace SRS unit.

That's a lot to spend. Does anyone know if there was a recall and/or if I can get the dealer to help on paying for/fixing this essential safety item?

TIA for any help.
Old 08-18-2002, 01:10 AM
LjN_728

wow that's a tough one. So you have to replace the ENTIRE srs unit? Meaning the entire airbag system. You know wut...to me that's a bunch of bs. I mean i can't say forsure that ur srs unit malfunction, but you shouldn't have to pay for anything. Your best bet is to go to the Honda dealer, ask them to check out the srs light, and hopefully you are one of the many customers with this problem and they'll get a recall on it. Srs units should last a lifetime if it has never been touched. i dunno...tell me what happens at the dealer
Old 08-18-2002, 06:16 AM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

I would not trust that one bit. Hondas air bag systems are near flawless. Take it to a dealer, or mabe even two or three. I doubt you need to replace the ENTIRE srs.
Old 08-18-2002, 01:46 PM
MokeyJ

We'll try the (st/d)ealer and see what they say... but there's a reason we've been avoiding them since the warranty ran out ... $$$
Old 08-18-2002, 05:30 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Don't just go to one then, go to two or three. When it comes to sensitive equipment like air bags, ECU's, and other electronics I don't trust Billy Bob's back yard garage farther than I can throw it. He knows about cars in general, but I don't think he's trained in Hondas specifically with experience on nothing but, having updated, ongoing training all year, like the factroy authorized technicians. Believe me, yes you do pay more at the dealer, but in this instance, I'd say it's worth it. Now, for stuff like timming belts and water pumps and radiators, I'd say absolutely don't take it to the dealer. Your local garage is the best place for that. You see where I'm going with this?
Old 08-19-2002, 02:55 AM
MokeyJ

Thanks for the suggestion. You sound like someone who lives near more than one dealer. However, I'm not exactly in an urban area, nor do I have the time to drive all over to get estimates - I work 35 mis. from home and put in 10-12 hrs./day.

The place I take my Hondas to (I've had several) is owned by someone who used to be the top service guy at the local Honda dealer. I wouldn't trust the dealer with my car, but I would go to them for a recall.

D&D Automotive in Concord, NH provide the best and most affordable service of any shop I've ever dealt with; and I've owned cars since the Nixon administration. I'm sure replacing the SRS unit is expensive - I can't wait to get an estimate from the dealer. I can guarantee it will be more than Dennis would charge me.