Notices

airbag warning light.help!

Old 05-23-2003, 09:45 PM
hondoz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airbag warning light.help!

1998 accord sedan, airbag light stays on .Airbag has not been activated, local honda shop says new everything! approx $2000!!! I suspect the problem is a fuse or conection, Any ideas anyone? thanks
Old 05-24-2003, 12:28 PM
BustedLX
Rice Rocket

If you took it to the dealer what did the diagnostic print out of the system list as the problem? There's no way the entire system could go bad at the same time.

I would take it to a different dealer and pay the one hour labor fee for them to run a diagnostic on it. It might be as simple as a system reset. If that's the case they could do it for free.

There is only one fuse for the SRS system and if it's blown then there is something wrong. It's in your fuse box covered by a yellow gaurd so you can't remove it.

If you recently installed a radio, alarm, or anything else that interfaced with the electrical system I would retrace my steps to make sure the SRS systems wireing was not affected. No sticking test lights in yellow loomed wires or etc.

If something was unplugged and then reconnected then the system would show a fault and need to be reset regardless if the problem is no longer present.

SRS is a pain in the ass. Good luck on identifing the problem. But I would check out the obvious first.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:34 PM
AcuraFanatic

I've had no problems with my SRS? :dunno:

Good luck man. :happysad:
Old 05-24-2003, 06:22 PM
XxRONNxX
MUGEN Whore!!

Default Re: airbag warning light.help!

Originally posted by hondoz
1998 accord sedan, airbag light stays on .Airbag has not been activated, local honda shop says new everything! approx $2000!!! I suspect the problem is a fuse or conection, Any ideas anyone? thanks
If you know people at bodyshops, they may be able to find your problem. Yes I said bodyshops. My shop installs steeringwheel airbags and tinkers with their electrical computers and sensors all the time. It was a lot cheaper than taking it to the dealer.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:49 PM
hondoz

Default re airbag waering light.

thanks for advice,Busted lx andxxRonnxx ,The car belongs to my mother in law,who lives in another state [of Australia] local Honda shops see problems as ameans too sell new parts, mywife has a series 1 legend coupe ,different shop same crazy prices.[new tranny,$2500- I cleaned and flushed the solenoids,$5for brake cleaner -problem solved] Is the airbag gas powered, or a charge? If gas could be fixed with simple regas. Would removing a battery terminal for a few minutes help, if it`s a reset problem? This works with the computer on the Legend.Any more feedback appreciated, thanks.s
Old 05-25-2003, 04:24 AM
BustedLX
Rice Rocket

All Honda's use computers (SRS modules) to control the SRS system. They all have internal battery back-up's to store the trouble codes if the battery is unpluged. Most times it takes several days with the battery out to clear the SRS computer and that's not always successful.

The Airbags are not servicable. There is no gas that can be refreshed.

If you can find a shop other then the dealer to run a diagnostic on the computer that would be a good thing. The machine isn't cheap and I know the body shop I ran for three years didn't have one. We just took them to the dealer to be reset or diagnosed when neccessary.

They charge the average consumer one hour labor to have it diagnosed and/or resest so it comes out to about $57-$65 depending on the dealer.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:02 AM
99accord
www.poksquid.com

just kill the airbag and get an aftermarket wheel...
Old 05-25-2003, 03:42 PM
hondoz

I will relay this information, thanks again.[it`s difficult trying to fix acar that`s 1000k`s away] aftermarket wheels are not on -it`s illegal to tamper wiht safety stuff in this country,[ yearly mandatory checks] my quick fix was to take the bulb out.Question, Mr busted . Is the bag system on a plug? if it is ,where`s the plug? Does unplugging it knock anything else out? I`ll get her to try the reset option first.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:57 AM
decibel_dj

my SRS light is on come to find out that the sensor blew out (dont ask me how i have no clue) on my passenger side i got quote $2000 before to have my whole system redone but lucky went else where to have it checked out and when they showed me the print out it was a simple sensor problem. so dont be fooled into thinking u need a whole system especially if you werent in any kind of accident pior get a 2nd opinion