Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

need help...possibly fried cd player

Old 04-30-2004, 06:07 AM
kelfourteen
Kelfourteen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help...possibly fried cd player

I think that I fried my head unit and possibly a fuse or two, but I have no idea how to figure it out.

I was getting my subs and amp hooked up in my car a few days ago. I was too cheap to buy an aftermarket head unit so we had to splice into the speaker systems. I really have no idea what they were doing, but it was done right, and was going well.

But...by some freak accident a speaker wire was dropped onto the amp, hooked up and running in my trunk, and it sparked, and then shorted out my sound system. I believe all the speakers work, but am not 100% positive on that, but my CD player was turned on, but no sound was being delivered to the speakers.

Now however my CD player does not come on at all, and as a result my keyless entry, dome light, and automatic locks are no longer working. Prior to the CD player dying the stock speakers were giving negative feedback.

Questions:

1- How do you remove the head unit in an '04 Honda Civic? We were looking at it and really have no idea how to get it out to see whether we fried the CD player or just something needs to be reset.

2 - In the fuse box (under the hood) there is a fuse labeled "Back Up". Does anyone know where it leads, what it is used for? Since the inicident that particular fuse has a solid ground running to it, and blows any fuses that we put in it, and I would like to know where it leads so I can find out where it is shorted. If we put a fuse in it the radio will come on, negative feedback starts again with the speakers, my dome light works, and that annoying sound when your keys are in the ignition and your door is open starts ago, but a few moments later the fuse blows.

Obviously, I'm sure that you have guessed that I have absolutely no idea what I am when it comes to cars. But I would seriously appreciate any suggestions that anyone has on how to go about fixing these problems.
I would really prefer avoiding going back to my dealership to get them to fix this problem since I have really messed up my warranty on my radio/sound system.

Also, I heard a rumor that if a new Honda (that is still under warranty) is brought in to be serviced and it has an aftermarket head unit in it that the service people are *not* to work on the car, and that the entire warranty on the car is voided? Anyone hear anything on this?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2004, 07:05 AM
mossman
Mark

Sounds like you fried the speaker channels on the head unit if there wasn't any sound. As far as your keyless entry, etc., probably just a fuse. Any modification to the car voids the warranty. Doesn't seem right that the entire car's warranty would be void though. Probably just the stereo system.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:53 AM
john666
Drive it like u stole it.

im guessing a wire is still crossed someplace. check them..
Old 05-15-2004, 08:58 PM
5thgenAccordEX
The Italian

make sure positive is hooked up to positive, and negative to negative
Old 05-16-2004, 05:33 AM
sids1045
dumber than a box of hair

Originally Posted by mossman
Any modification to the car voids the warranty.
Wrong. The law (the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act) states that the party offering the warranty must prove that the modification directly led to the part or system failure which the customer seeks to have covered under the warranty. Merely modifying a car doesn't cut it.