View Single Post
Old 04-30-2004, 06:07 AM
kelfourteen
Kelfourteen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help...possibly fried cd player

I think that I fried my head unit and possibly a fuse or two, but I have no idea how to figure it out.

I was getting my subs and amp hooked up in my car a few days ago. I was too cheap to buy an aftermarket head unit so we had to splice into the speaker systems. I really have no idea what they were doing, but it was done right, and was going well.

But...by some freak accident a speaker wire was dropped onto the amp, hooked up and running in my trunk, and it sparked, and then shorted out my sound system. I believe all the speakers work, but am not 100% positive on that, but my CD player was turned on, but no sound was being delivered to the speakers.

Now however my CD player does not come on at all, and as a result my keyless entry, dome light, and automatic locks are no longer working. Prior to the CD player dying the stock speakers were giving negative feedback.

Questions:

1- How do you remove the head unit in an '04 Honda Civic? We were looking at it and really have no idea how to get it out to see whether we fried the CD player or just something needs to be reset.

2 - In the fuse box (under the hood) there is a fuse labeled "Back Up". Does anyone know where it leads, what it is used for? Since the inicident that particular fuse has a solid ground running to it, and blows any fuses that we put in it, and I would like to know where it leads so I can find out where it is shorted. If we put a fuse in it the radio will come on, negative feedback starts again with the speakers, my dome light works, and that annoying sound when your keys are in the ignition and your door is open starts ago, but a few moments later the fuse blows.

Obviously, I'm sure that you have guessed that I have absolutely no idea what I am when it comes to cars. But I would seriously appreciate any suggestions that anyone has on how to go about fixing these problems.
I would really prefer avoiding going back to my dealership to get them to fix this problem since I have really messed up my warranty on my radio/sound system.

Also, I heard a rumor that if a new Honda (that is still under warranty) is brought in to be serviced and it has an aftermarket head unit in it that the service people are *not* to work on the car, and that the entire warranty on the car is voided? Anyone hear anything on this?

Thanks!