Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Radar detector users

Old 02-10-2004, 12:25 PM
kenton
Change sig? Lose [quote]!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar detector users

Anyone using a Valentine One radar detector? I hear they're pretty awesome, the reason why I ask is today I got nailed (55/45, not THAT bad!) and detection::reaction time was really short. I wasn't blatantly speeding in front of him, it was a hill that caught me. I'm using a Cobra 9210 (Or 9120, I can't remember. . .) and I'm looking at a Valentine One and was just wondering if anyone had one and could share an experience. TIA
Old 02-10-2004, 03:46 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

I have no experience with the Valentine... but talk with the D.A. for the town you got the ticket in (before the court date) and see if you can get it reduced to a non-moving violation (no prior record helps ALOT) or even dismissed. 10MPH over is a pretty ridiculous ticket... someone pissed in that cops wheaties that morning.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:01 PM
kenton

Originally Posted by SumAccordGuy94
I have no experience with the Valentine... but talk with the D.A. for the town you got the ticket in (before the court date) and see if you can get it reduced to a non-moving violation (no prior record helps ALOT) or even dismissed. 10MPH over is a pretty ridiculous ticket... someone pissed in that cops wheaties that morning.
At the request of Valentine One's website, I'm contacting the sherrif's office to see if they were using this new mode called POP. It moves so fast that the gun can't generate an accurate reading 99% of the time (literally) and the operating manual says POP should not be used to issue tickets. Seems I may've found a loophole. You think 10 is crazy?? I've always thought over 5 was pretty risky. Seems I've been gunning for a ticket though since I did a little to my car
Old 02-11-2004, 04:41 PM
SiClone
X-Moder8er

POP or no POP, you should still go to court and ask for a fine and probation. That way it won't go on your record if you stay clean.

As for a V1, its pretty damn good. It's the best of the best as far as radar detectors. The biggest advantage the V1 has over everything else is that it detects the 5-0's radar a few seconds sooner than the rest. Those extra seconds is what will save your a$$ over using a cheapy Cobra or Uniden.

In the end, either fork up the bucks for a V1 ($400+) or just drive the speed limit!!!
Old 02-11-2004, 08:19 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

yeah, having the slightest modifications to your car makes it stand out like a sore thumb to cops... especially an import car. But notice no one ever says a thing to the people with pick-ups that have those dual exhausts on them making them twice as loud.

I'm really sick of cops... they make me want to drive a totally stock car, just to keep them off my ass.

As for a V1, if I could afford it, i'd have one... but I cant so I stick with the speed limit (most of the time).

And in NY, its almost unheard of to get a 10 over ticket... one time I was in court and someone had a 10 over ticket, the judge told the guy to take it easy, drive safe and he hoped he never had to see him in court again, and that was that. The judge crumpled up the ticket.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:33 PM
kenton

Originally Posted by SumAccordGuy94
yeah, having the slightest modifications to your car makes it stand out like a sore thumb to cops... especially an import car. But notice no one ever says a thing to the people with pick-ups that have those dual exhausts on them making them twice as loud.

I'm really sick of cops... they make me want to drive a totally stock car, just to keep them off my ass.

As for a V1, if I could afford it, i'd have one... but I cant so I stick with the speed limit (most of the time).

And in NY, its almost unheard of to get a 10 over ticket... one time I was in court and someone had a 10 over ticket, the judge told the guy to take it easy, drive safe and he hoped he never had to see him in court again, and that was that. The judge crumpled up the ticket.
I wish I could afford a V1, I was looking on eBay and they go for about 80-85% of retail price if all accessories are included, shows how good the resell value is, meaning the product must be worth it.

What do you think I should do, go to court? I'll admit, I was kind of an ass to the cop, and if he shows up he might say something like that which really wouldn't look great on me and I might get stuck with court costs. What's your thought? TIA
Old 02-12-2004, 08:29 PM
SiClone
X-Moder8er

Go to court and ask for mercy. Say that you will pay the fine but ask for the ticket to not go on your record if you go ticketless for say a year. Worst they can say is no, you pay the fine, and the ticket goes on your record.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:44 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

10 was bad? try 2 miles over two weeks after i got my 00si on the way to work one morning. I was pissed, took the traffic school in the end...it was worth it.

I have no clue about that detector, I've seen better detectors that are installed in your car like an alarm and is completely invisable in your windshield, some are dual purpose(jammer's/detector's) I was thinking about it but they are expensive around 800-1500 dollars
Old 02-26-2004, 01:39 PM
MCSEGeek

But notice no one ever says a thing to the people with pick-ups that have those dual exhausts on them making them twice as loud.
Or those loud ass motorcycles that only pass through your neighborhood at 3 am.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:30 PM
A_PHOBIA

well,you get what you pay for.i got a cheapy from wall mart.it works on the chp because there radar is in the car but not on regular city police.plus the damn thing goes off when im in a grocery store parking lot"it picks up the automatic door signals "and just goes nuts .it got so annoying i just leave it unplugged...