Notices

AEM Intake

Old 09-29-2003, 06:03 PM
Cosmo M3
Lurker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude, the only way that you'll hydrolock is if you take your accord out for a swim. I had my CAI for over a year and i had no problems. Putting a bypass valve on a CAI is pointless, might as well get a short ram because it'll be the same thing.

CAI: 3-6hp
CAI w/ Bypass: 2-3
Short Ram: 2-3

I don't think it justifies getting a CAI if you're getting a bypass for it. Might as well save almost 100 bucks and by the short ram.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:39 PM
92lx

the CAI is better for the Accord because the longer pipe shifts the powerband down...hence you'll be making power at a rev range that we can actually reach. However, the length of the AEM intake is far beyond optimal..... and it also has the unfortunate flaw of being so low down to the ground. If you go through a puddle (and yes, they do form all over the country when it rains hard enough), it will hydrolock the engine.

In other words, the AEM CAI is not streetable.....unless you put on the bypass, now, there is a problem caused by doing this that effects flow quality. So now, the idea is the Short Ram. The short ram will make just as much power, it will however make the power much higher in the rev range. It will not feel as if it has gained as much as a CAI (I've had both and several different brands, including the one I use now that is made by my shop and is tuned and is somewhat between the CAI and Shortram in length - battery in trunk though). The reason - accord powerband is low end, and car does not rev high enough to take advantage of the short ram's benefits.

In general, short = high end, short = low end.

Now, the cold air argument could be said, but the temperature of the air in the real world has little effect, especially after you consider the heat of the intake manifold and the engine room heat that will seap into the aluminum pipe. Theoretically cold air = better power output, but the problem with that is that optimum velocity will not nescessarily be achieved at the same time.

It's a very complicated subject, I'm trying to explain it all in laymans terms, but if you really want to get deep about it you need several years of college physics and a course in fluid dynamics.

Original question: The AEM CAI dyno I have on a 90 DX -

First Run: 112.0 hp (stock) @ around 4600rpm
Second Run: 116.6 (AEM CAI) @ around 4500rpm
First Run: 121.5 ft-lbs (stock) @ around 5400rpm
Second Run: 133.6 ft-lbs (AEM CAI) @ around 5400rpm

Which is better: eh, somewhere in between, but for "feel" the CAI, for streetability the short ram, either will make about the same power...just at different places on the graph.

- Nathan
Old 09-29-2003, 06:54 PM
streetrays
HAN Approved Vendor

in about 2 weeks, i heard and read about 4 hydro locks. i vote for short ram DC DAC..

i love it when my project was still NA, not it's breathing though HKS mushroom..
Old 09-29-2003, 08:42 PM
96JdmAccord
Im So JDM

shouldent be that much hp.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:56 PM
Weiman

intake doesnt add much hp n e way. when u get into headers/exhauste and stuff a litte more pricey then we talkin about some gains.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:32 AM
03accordcoupe
^New car...2003 BMW 330ci

Originally posted by Weiman
intake doesnt add much hp n e way. when u get into headers/exhauste and stuff a litte more pricey then we talkin about some gains.

The injen race division was dynoed at 14.4 horsepower at the wheels, and the AEM V2 around 20whp for the 03 accord v6...no gains?
Old 09-30-2003, 06:33 AM
skabone69

ther are plenty of people that have had AEM CAI on for over 2years that have not had hydro lock. unless your car is slammed, and you drive through a big puddle that is the only way I could see getting your car hydro locked. just be aware of where you drive your car, and avoid any large looking puddles and you'll be fine.:thumbup:
Old 09-30-2003, 06:36 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

^just to add keep the rpms down when driving in heavy rain. the more rpms the more air is being sucked in the more of a vaccum effect you have to suck up water.

you can put in the clutch and the rpms will drop like a rock if go through a deep puddle. if you have an auto just let off the gas.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:04 AM
Baco95
that just ain't baaalla!

Originally posted by skabone69
ther are plenty of people that have had AEM CAI on for over 2years that have not had hydro lock
:werd:
And about the air temperature thing....just the other day I drove around for about 45 minutes in 80 degree weather. When I got home I poped the hood just to check things out and my CAI pipe was ridiculously cold compared to the engine bay....
Old 09-30-2003, 01:53 PM
93accord4me

So can you buy a CAI with a shorter pipe? wouldnt that lessen the chance of getting hydrolock? Also is K&N anygood?