Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Timing Adjustment

Old 06-17-2003, 09:37 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You could check spark timing, too. That's not the same as valve time. New spark plugs; clean/inspect/replace plug wires, distributor cap & rotor. That's normal tune-up stuff for any car.

I don't know how your engine compartment looks, but maybe(?) stuff like replacing old vacuum hoses, cleaning your throttle body, new air filter...

If it's been a while, consider changing/flushing your anti-freeze and your brake fluid. Check out your owners manual for mileage intervals for everything. Have you had it forever or do you know the history for maintenance?

The manual shows how to do all that stuff. The basic specs are just the first few pages anyway. The best manual is Helm.
www.helminc.com
Haynes or Chilton books are cheaper, not as good, but for basic stuff are probably OK.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:53 AM
RYounk007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you check spark timing? And how do you clean the throttle body? (or check if it needs cleaning)

I've had the car a few years, but don't know the maintenance before me, so I'd like to kinda do it all. I just replaced the air-filter, and have recently done plugs.

Is there an easy way to check the hoses? Just make sure they're not leaking? Is it common for these to break?

I was also thinking about flushing my transmission fluid, is this complicated at all?

I'm planning on doing distb. cap & rotor too, I just helped one of my friends replace his in his Teg. If mine aren't particularly bad, will this make any difference? Or are they like wires and I should keep them stock until they break?

Everyone has been a lot of help, thanks again.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:57 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Spark timing - Helm book says how, get a timing light, they have instructions.

Throttle body - take off the big intake tube from the aircleaner, look into the TB with a flashlight. Clean it with TB cleaner in a spray can, toothbrush or q-tips. Just don't lose anything in there.

Hoses - inspect them for cracks or brittleness. It's more common for them to get hard with age so they're loose on the fittings. Or you could buy a MityVac & actually test them. Radiator hoses get hard & brittle too.

Tranny fluid - drain & fill ATF. That gets maybe 1/2 of the fluid because the torque converter doesn't drain. So you do it again a couple more times after driving 100 miles. If the fluid is brown or smells burnt, then take it to a shop where they'll hook up a pump or something & actually flush it.

Manual tranny? - drain & fill but the interval is pretty long.

Cap & rotor should be just about the same as the Teg. Plug wires usually fail by the insulation letting the spark leak out. Often you can't even see the defect. Check at night by looking for arcing. This works better on a completely cold engine.