Notices

02 Accord Shifting problem

Old 06-15-2010, 07:58 AM
Doog36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Accord Shifting problem

Hey all, new guy on the forums (please be gentle!). I am having an odd, intermittent, issue with my car shifting gears. I noticed it a few days ago on the interstate as I was trying to pass someone. I gave it some gas and when it tried to downshift to accelerate, it was like it didn't go in to gear, and the RPMs just jumped between 3.5k and 4.5k RPM. I let off the gas for a couple of seconds and then got back on, and everything went back to normal.

This doesn't happen every time, however. I do notice my car somewhat stutter a bit switching gears when it's accelerating (but again it's not every time). It also seems that my radio went out around the same time, but it could be unrelated.

My check engine light has been on, but I had it checked already and it's an O2 sensor issue. I'm going to get it checked again to make sure no other codes come up.

I was hoping someone could shed some light on what may be the cause, or what I should be looking for. If it isn't apparent yet, I have minimal knowledge on auto mechanics, but I'm trying my best to learn. Any help would be appreciated tremendously.

Additional Info:

The car has 155k Miles on it, and the transmission fluid was taken care of 40k miles ago.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:01 AM
whogottaferio

Default hello and hi

hey dude im new to the site as well. i have a 2k accord but have not had any tranny problems(knock on wood).the problem may be due to the O2 sensor. i strongly urge you to go ahead and get ur o2 replaced or get the cleaned for the time being. cleaning them is east once they are out. bad o2 sensor can cause quite a few problems as it did for me.i can cause hesitation and light jerking when the car is in motion. replace them or clean them.it may help.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:09 AM
DOZ5

Default Pressure sensor?

Hi,
My 99 V6 had a transmission rebuilt. They did not change the pressure sensors (2) and the one that is responsible for sensing the pressure between 1st and 2nd (I think) was acting up. After they replaced it, the shifting was fine. I know there is another one. It usually did that when the transmission was cold though.

The other thing you can try is to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes and then reconnect. that will reset the transmission controller. Usually when you have a transmissions issues, the D4 light will indicate something but it did not do it with the bad sensor.

Give the disconnect a try but before you do, make sure you have the radio code.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:22 PM
cruzalekz

you should fix the o2 sensor problem first and then test your transmission again.

02 sensors could affect your air fuel ratio thereby affecting engine performance