Notices

Notorious problems with the 6th gen. Accords, post them here...

Old 06-03-2005, 02:45 PM
ItsaHonda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive got 160,000 miles on my 96 Accord, and recently bought an excellent running and good condition 1983 Honda Accord SE w/ 177,000 miles (now have 179k) on the original 1.8 EK1. Both cars have auto trannies, and both work perfectly. I've owned my 96 Accord (2.2) since it only had 40k miles, and it has quite simply been the best car this family has ever seen. Normal wear and tear repairs and general maintenance/upkeep has been all this car has ever required. It's been allover the United States, several times...and I have never had to worry (or even think about) a break down. Still starts, runs and drives like a new machine. After 9 years and 160k, the car still has zero rattles, feels solid and the ONLY wear is on the steering wheel! Even the driver's seat fabric is still in tact. The car is nothing short of just amazing. Also have an 81 Civic 1500 wagon w/ 63,000 original miles... also runs great and no problems!

This coming from someone who used to be an American muscle car nut, in fact, I still have my 01 TA. Surpisingly I havent had any real problems with it in 55,000 miles, except for small quality control problems like loose panels and squeaks/rattles. But after my experience with my Accord, I am more than convinced and am a Honda man for life.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:46 PM
fstop128

bump
Old 10-02-2005, 08:12 AM
omalycat
Dropping the Puck

Hi, everyone. Great site here!

My first post, so I thought I'd put my two cents in here while troubleshooting a couple of minor problems.

99 Accord 2door-4cyl

I bought it used with 22k on it, now has 77. It's been the most reliable ride I've ever had.

Minor problems include:

The clock lamp went out after I put in a new stereo at 30k. (didn't realize that was so common, I've never even bothered replacing it)

The engine idles poorly when the AC is on, and sometimes it dips badly if I've been at a light for a while. (I've gotten a few clues from reading some of the great posts around here, though!) Now to find the AIC valve...

For some reason, the rear brake pads went out a lot sooner than the fronts, (fronts still had plenty of pad) and I had to replace the rears at about 65k. The car has had a minor pull to the right ever since, but it's not any more excessive when breaking????) Weird. Anyone ever heard of the rear pads going out first?

Anyway, other than the routine maintenance, and the few oddities I've mentioned, I've never had a problem with it, and trust it to take me anywhere without a thought. Best car I've ever owned, and made me a believer in Honda.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:32 PM
gevon99

whass happening everyone, this will be my first post here, well on the internet as a whole, and is really very simple. i've got a 99 accord lx for a lil bit over a year. and only after reading these posts, that i realized my clock never lit since i had it. didn't think it did. and this is the clock next to the hazard light button right? oh should i say the only clock in the car, but just how do i go about fixing this? :irock:
Old 10-02-2005, 10:27 PM
shipu7la

Default Same here

Originally Posted by Kingseth2
I have had those same problems. But I just attribute them to being minor bugs or annoyances. The shaking at start and cut-off is interesting itself. I thought I was the only one. Anyway the car still drives great and I am fortunate that I have such a new car anyway...I dunno I'm rambling here but I just wanted to say 1) you're not alone and 2) I don't think there is anything that can be done about these problems

P.S. I also have a 98 LX 5-Speed

I have the same problem with little rough idele, same clock bulb and Ac vent. But so far my car is still running good. No complain as of today. Lets see what happens next.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:01 PM
y2ksignetex
MAKDADDY

Default Update

Thought I might update this now:

Clock light is out again - I bought the RadioShack bulbs and installed them (still doesn't work, not going to waste time on it - going to put in a new hu)
Cruise control button lamp is out (out for years, but cc still works)
Creaky center console
2 broken motor mounts, 1 broken tranny mount
Some tranny slippage (must wait for gear to engage if going Fwd or Rvse after driving a few hours)
SRS ECU failure (tried to reset but doesn't work anymore)
Leaky procarparts taillamp housing

and now something new: the weld that held the left muffler to the b pipe broke clean. wth, of all the things to go. Now I have that nice catback sound w/o the catback look. O well, I need to look for a new catback system before winter sets in.

Replaced the AEM alternator pulley so now I am good for now.

Originally Posted by y2ksignetex
2000 Honda Accord EX V6 with leather
47,000 original miles and counting

My annoying problems:
- Rattle in the moonroof when partially open. I've seen other posts on this before. Honda usu fixes it cheap w/ some lube. This started at around 30k mi
- Rear camber very difficult to straighten out when lowered. Camber kits usu fixes that.
- Clock bulb out @ 25 k miles. Replaced under warranty.
- Cupholder cover doesn't stay covered. The clip broke and I don't want to spend $$ on it. I just put an air freshener in it and I'm good to go.
- In need of either a hi-cap alternator or stronger battery due to f****** AEM pulleys. Don't want to take it out.....

My fuel gauge warning light doesn't light up when close to empty anymore. I brought it into Honda once and they said that they won't check it unless it's partially empty. Tough to do since I usu fill it up around 1/8 left.

That's it for now. Just the "normal" old car hangups.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:08 PM
diplomattik

Default My problems...

Well here are some of my problems...

(98 Accord EX-V6 AT w/ 270k miles)

-Backlights for odometer, clock, and radio dead.

-Tach, fuel and temp gauge needles are out.

-Transmission had to be replaced a few months ago but the shop could only get a hold of a junkyard tranny with less mileage. Shifts from 1st to 2nd take forever and the whole car jerks shifting from D4 to reverse.

-Starter recently crapped out on me. I have to hit it with a wrench every time I need to start my car. (and sometimes even that doesn't work)

I say you let your dad buy you a newer car. Even though it's funny you have to LET him haha
Old 07-28-2006, 12:11 PM
diplomattik

Default My problems...

Well here are some of my problems...

(98 Accord EX-V6 AT w/ 270k miles)

-Backlights for odometer, clock, and radio dead.

-Tach, fuel and temp gauge needles are out.

-"AUTO" and "OFF" button lights on the A/C controls are dead

-Transmission had to be replaced a few months ago but the shop could only get a hold of a junkyard tranny with less mileage. Shifts from 1st to 2nd take forever and the whole car jerks shifting from D4 to reverse.

-Starter recently crapped out on me. I have to hit it with a wrench every time I need to start my car. (and sometimes even that doesn't work)

I say you let your dad buy you a newer car. Even though it's funny you have to LET him haha
Old 07-28-2006, 12:36 PM
skabone69

watch your motor when the milage gets up there in age. the rings on our motors will eventually go. although I can blame my engine going on my driving habits. I got my 6th gen with 40K on the odometer, I've changed the oil ever 3000miles, but I beat the piss out of the engine. the engine finally went around 150K. so that's pretty solid, but the engine should be able to make it up to 200K easily. on the bright side f23 replacements are pretty cheap. I ended up getting an F23 with 19K on it for $500.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:40 PM
moky

mine has a 80000miles on it but still runs good!