Notices

Cheapest / Safest Way To Increase Acceleration?

Old 01-04-2003, 06:37 PM
Rycechyk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by MonStar
Anything else other than an exaust system to really increase acceleration? Because my Accord is SO SLOW from being stopped. From 20-40 MPH its not bad, but from 0-20 MPH its ridiculous!

I get my doors blown off by SUVs, trucks, everything. Its just a joke.
Huh, I guess every car is a little different. I have a 93 EX 4 cylinder auto with intake, exhaust and Accel wires, and the low end torque is great. When I shoot off from stoplights I have smoked almost every car. I've had people say that it helps with that because mine's auto, but yours is too. I guess it's maybe just multiple factors. If you get that low end boost you need you'll enjoy it, because it's tons of fun to be pushed back in your seat going only 15 mph. :thumbup:
Old 01-04-2003, 07:54 PM
cwa107

Default Re: Cheapest / Safest Way To Increase Acceleration?

The best and cheapest way to make your car accelerate faster? You're not gonna like it, but here goes...

1. Completely gut the interior except for the driver's seat, seat belt and gauges, and anything else ultimately related to controling the car.

2. Remove glass from the doors, trunklid and rear window.

3. Remove the A/C compressor and other components.

You might think I'm a smart-a$$, but your car would be more than 1000 pounds lighter, still street legal, just as safe (if not safer without all that glass) and will probably hit 60 in about 6 seconds.

Originally posted by MonStar
What do you guys think?

1998 Accord EX, 4-cylinder automatic.

CAI supposedly doesnt do much for acceleration from what I have heard.

Help me out guys. Dont want to spend a TON of money here..

And dont want to lose a lot of gas mileage if thats avoidable.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:57 AM
bulwinkle

Originally posted by 98CoupeV6
For your engine, they really don't provide all that much horsepower...I think like 10 or 15. They also make the engine noisier and probably decrease gas mileage. Cars like the TL and CL Type-S gain about 30 horsepower from their headers, so that is a very noticeable difference. For you, it probably won't be unless you measure acceleration times.
my header didnt make my car any noisier. i think removing my resonator made a hell of alot more noise than the header.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:58 AM
bulwinkle

Originally posted by AznMAC007
10 or 15 HP from just headers? is that the result after getting a CAI and a cat-back exhaust?? 10 or 15 HP from just headers! 4-2-1 setup? DC Sports? where did you get those astonomical numbers from just headers?!
dc sports claims its 4-2-1 headers for the accord produces 10-15 hp independently without any other mods. i cant actually say if its true or not but thats what they claim.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:02 AM
bulwinkle

Originally posted by AznMAC007
btw, headers won't help you in acceleration....they're affective around the mid-range torque area.
a header will improve acceleration as long as you take the car to its high end rpm range. thats characteristic of honda's who for some reason cant design an engine that can produce torque on the low end.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:09 AM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by bulwinkle
a header will improve acceleration as long as you take the car to its high end rpm range. thats characteristic of honda's who for some reason cant design an engine that can produce torque on the low end.
they can, and have, just not for our economy cars
Old 01-05-2003, 08:13 AM
bboyvteg

Gutting the inside of a car will make the most difference without using that much money. Although If you want to take friends for a ride you might want to leave the passenger seat in.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:13 AM
RaceACCORDingly
You are teh suxorz

H22 should help a little
Old 01-05-2003, 08:49 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by bulwinkle
my header didnt make my car any noisier. i think removing my resonator made a hell of alot more noise than the header.
Really? I guess i've never heard a car with just a header. I always just assumed they did. Good to know :thumbup: