Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension ridiculousness

Old 12-22-2008, 11:22 AM
ND120883

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension ridiculousness

My 1992 Honda Accord LX auto has been making a ridiculous creaking/squealing/groaning noise for the past year. The groaning noise occurs when turning the wheel left or right, and the squeaking/creaking can be heard basically anytime weight is shifted on or off of that side. When stopped at a red light, if I turn the wheel back and forth to intentionally create the noise, it's so loud that everyone else sitting at the light turns their heads in disgust.

2 years ago the strut on that side was destroyed when I ran into a HUGE pothole. I replaced the strut myself in lieu of receiving an $800 estimate from a mechanic. All was well for about 6 months before the noises started slowly and quietly and grew to obnoxiousness a year later. Other than the noises the car handles flawlessly. Visual inspection reveals little, i did find some worn sway bar bushings and replaced them. CV axles are brand new, upper control arms/bushings are new, and the boots on both ball joints upper and lower appear to not have been torn.

Any idea where to start looking guys?

-Nate
Old 12-22-2008, 03:56 PM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you stand in front of the car and you push down
does it make any sound?
Old 12-22-2008, 06:45 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

I mean you sound mechanically inclined, but a squealing sound while turning really sounds like a PS belt issue to me. check your fluid levels and hopefully the pump is still good... though with the age of the car i'd make sense to me that the PS pump might have started to have problems

Last edited by sherwood; 12-22-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Tedmond

if the fluids ran low for a long time the ps rack might be gone
Old 12-23-2008, 12:02 AM
ND120883

To answer Stryker's question, yes. If I hop on the fender the squeaking/creaking noise is plainly obvious. I thought about the PS rack but its been replaced recently. I would hope its not gone again cause then I'm doing that ish myself and that's gonna suck. The noise from hopping on the fender would suggest suspensions issues however. I've been told the top plate that has the 3 mounting lugs going into the fender has a bearing in it that can wear out. Any truth to this? My searches on several websites have come up kinda ambiguous on that.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:12 AM
strykernyc

Bad lower ball joints is causing the noise you hear when you turn the wheel. I remember I change mine twice in two yrs, good thing it had lifetime warranty. In my case I couldn't tell if the joints were bad by visual inspection but I trusted my mechanic he is always 100% right and that stop the problem. You should also check the rack and pinion for any leaks, dust in the boots etc...

When you change the shocks did you replace the upper shock mount bushings, washers and spacers? This will also make alot of noise or if any part is lose.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:48 AM
ND120883

Yes all washers and bushings were replaced in the strut, the pothole was so devastating it not only destroyed the strut itself but all the bushings as well. Only half of them were even left when I took it apart, had to take the other side apart first just to figure out how it all went back together lol.

alright I'm gonna give that ball joint a shot. Can it be replaced by itself or do I have to get the whole control arm that goes with it? Jap cars are gay like that sometimes so I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:10 AM
ND120883

NM Just found a DIY for the ball joints (its for a 92 prelude, but its the same thing basically).
Old 12-23-2008, 03:24 PM
ND120883

Followed the DIY for the ball joint replacement and after a short test run it would seem that the ridiculous groaning/squeaking/lurching has stopped for the time being. I'm gonna ride her hard and put her away wet for the next week just to make sure. Also my alignment is way different, it now veers to the left. I might think about doing the other side too, then doing an alignment.

Thx for the advice stryker.

-Nate