Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bootleg is this? (CAI)

Old 11-04-2002, 09:39 AM
Kingseth2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bootleg is this? (CAI)

For the last few weeks I have been pondering whether I really want a full CAI or a cone filter replacement for the OEM airbox or just a removed resonator.

Anyway I was bored on Sunday and I picked up a "BOOTLEG" cone shaped airfilter from Autozone. I was looking for a K&N but they had none in stock. This busted cheap $20 cone just slipped right on over my intake tube. There were no clips or bands to hold it in place. It was so ghetto! (At least the OEM box is screwed down so it wont move - eliminating the possibility that the tube could pop out of the filter box.)

What I would like to know is if the K&N cone filter actually has a proper bracketing mount for the air intake tube or does it just slap right on? Also does it just hang off the end of the intake tube without any way to secure it to the frame?

Thank you to whoever reads this post :beer:
Old 11-04-2002, 09:47 AM
DB7 2.0
Banned

K&N CONE filters wont have the bracket either... just slip it on and put it inside the stock airbox... then remove the lower air resonator... works just as well as the CAI.

i actually had a cone filter just mounted on the stock piping of my old accord for a couple weeks without the stock box...never ran into any problems.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:51 AM
BDogggUT34

Anyone know the benefits of putting a drop in K&N filter in the stock air box with the resonator removed versus what i have in there now???
Old 11-04-2002, 09:53 AM
Kingseth2

I didn't even think to rest the cone on the stock airbox.

Aside from removing the resonator to save weight, once the air is setup to go through the cone, the resonator is worthless? What I am saying is the resonator could be left on, in case I wanted to slap the regular filter box back on for a dealer visit. (I have an extended warranty)

:dunno:
Old 11-04-2002, 09:54 AM
v6master
Rice Hater

I did something similar, except I removed the resonator, and extended the tubing down into the fenderwell and replaced the stock filter with a K&N drop in filter, not the cone. It's basically the same idea as the icebox, and sounds really good! Having the cone filter inside the engine compartment is going to suck in hot air from the engine, doing it this way it sucks cold air from the front bumper. I'm not sure about the power gains as compared to an AEM/icebox, but I'm betting its pretty close.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:01 AM
DB7 2.0
Banned

the lower air resonator will almost always go unnoticed by a shop. regardless, i didnt suggest removing for the sake of saving weight...it was so that the air can go directly to the intake system without having to go through all those baffles and tubes... it just so happens that it also helps you save like a whopping 2 lbs
Old 11-04-2002, 10:31 AM
Kingseth2

Haha yea I figured.

I agree. I think it would make most sense to remove the lowerer intake resonator and use a drop in filter with a greater airflow. This setup would actually use air that was cooler than inside the engine compartment.

Thanks guys :beer: