Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering boot ripped?

Old 02-08-2008, 05:00 AM
dleccord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering boot ripped?

can anyone give me the proper term for the part i need to buy? it kinda looks like the boot of a cv joint and the ends of an axle but instead its right by the steering column. not sure what its called but i just realized its ripped and not sure how long its been.

what is it called and how dangerous is it to drive with a ripped boot?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:52 AM
dleccord

cmon anyone? this is suppose to be some trivial question?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:58 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's a 2003 - I have no clue what kind of car you own...

#6 is called steering grommet B.
#7 are called tie rod dust seals.

I would ask the dealer to show you the picture that applies to your year & model.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:34 PM
dleccord

i have a 96 accord lx. the boot that ripped is very similar to #7.

how hard is this to replace? any danger driving with a ripped boot?
Old 02-10-2008, 07:04 PM
nspec_Cd5

i think if u disconnect the driver side tie rod. u can pull out the boot. if not, then u'll have to take off the whole thing.

it shouldn't be dangerous to drive w/ a ripped boot. the only problem u'll have is that eventually ur car will become harder to steer.

if the boot is not torn too bad. U can take a carb cleaner, clean it out. (if there's grease there, put some grease in it) then take some black silicone and seal all the tears. That might work, but not on big tears.

disclaimer: i'm not responsible if anything happens to your car because of the torn boot. Ask others about it, dont take my word for it.

Last edited by nspec_Cd5; 02-10-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:07 PM
JimBlake

The rack boot keeps dirt out of the steering rack. The one on the driver's side protects the actual rack & pinion. The one on the passengers side protects the hydraulic cylinder. Either way, you'll ruin the rack if you leave it torn.

Here's a '96; the rack boots are different numbers, so there's apparantly a difference between them?

That boot is only like $10. For that price, it's not worth the time to try to patch it.

Last edited by JimBlake; 02-10-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:03 PM
dleccord

Originally Posted by JimBlake
The rack boot keeps dirt out of the steering rack. The one on the driver's side protects the actual rack & pinion. The one on the passengers side protects the hydraulic cylinder. Either way, you'll ruin the rack if you leave it torn.

Here's a '96; the rack boots are different numbers, so there's apparantly a difference between them?

That boot is only like $10. For that price, it's not worth the time to try to patch it.

any special tools i would need to replace that boot besides sockets and ratchets?
Old 02-11-2008, 04:28 AM
JimBlake

You'll need to un-do the outer tie rod end (#15/17) and it's locking nut (#25) can be pretty tight with rust. Try some PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench or something like that. Mark it so you can put it back on EXACTLY the same position.

The inner tie rod (#1) is mostly inside the boot, so the picture is a little misleading - that doesn't have to be removed.

The vent tube (#2) should just have air in it, not filled with fluid.

The little clamp (#3) is probably a spring-clamp. Cut the big clamp (#8). See what's inside, try to clean as best you can. Driver's side??? If so, check for dirt in the rack/pinion grease. (Maybe add grease?) If it's dirty, you'll be buying a new rack someday.

Put the new boot on, you can use most any type of clamp around the big end; maybe even nylon wire ties.

If you have any doubt about the exact position of the outer tie rod end, get a suspension alignment. How long has it been; maybe it's a good excuse for an alignment anyway.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:11 PM
96 EX

"Dust Boots" ... and don't bother with the no-names ... get the Honda ones. The no-names don't fit right and tear rather quickly ... ask me how I know.